Making Music Isn’t Always Easy!

Making Music Isn’t Always Easy!

Hi everyone! After learning about guitar maintenance last week I was interested to find out more since it kind of blew my mind that people online were saying to change strings every 1-3 months. I know it depends on how often you play and on the strings you have, but I decided to take to social media (Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter) to find out what others think. 

Here were some of my results.

The average response was either every 6 months, once a year, or every two years. Since my strings haven’t been changed for about two years I figure I’ll look into new strings.

This week I wanted to try something a little different. As I mentioned in my first post, I’ve been playing piano since a young age, so I wanted to put that together with my guitar project. I decided to make a song in GarageBand, which was interesting. I’ve had minimal experience with this program, and that was a few years ago, so I learned a lot about the features of GarageBand this week. I also faced new challenges of finding an appropriate strumming pattern to go with my piano playing.

To be honest I got pretty frustrated trying to record everything separately, then line it all up together. Also, the recording sound would be better if I had a mic, but overall, I’m happy I gave it a try.

I used GarageBand on my MacBook, but you can easily download the phone app. My audio file from GarageBand was too big to add here, so for now it’s in iMovie form for you to listen to. This song includes the F chord, which I struggled to learn, along with some of my favourites: G, C, and Em.

I also created a book using Book Creator with a quick overview of some tools I’ve tried out during my project and what I’ve learned. Check out the full book here! Feel free to compare my guitar to the beginning or week 3.

Week 6 Key Take-Aways:

• I need to look into different types of guitar strings for future reference.
  • GarageBand can be frustrating, but it’s fun to play around with all its features. I’m proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone and giving it a try.
  • Book Creator would be great for students! It’s easy to navigate and personalize your creation. It was a new way for me to summarize some of what I’ve learned over the past few weeks.

6 thoughts on “Making Music Isn’t Always Easy!

1. Hi Tamantha,
    I really enjoyed seeing you explore with finding out more information regarding your guitar strings and with garage band. I have tried garage band once when I was younger…Going to have to look into it more!
    Do you play any other instruments?

2. I liked how you used social media to get answers to your questions. Twitter has really expanded my network to streamline the avenues where I get reliable information. Thanks for sharing.

3. Hi Tamantha!
    It’s so amazing to see how much progress you’ve made! I also love how you were able to use Twitter to help you with your learning project – I hadn’t thought of asking for tips or advice like that. Did you find it hard to sort through all the replies? Or was it easy enough to keep track of all the discussions?

1. Thanks Raylin! It wasn’t too hard to keep track of replies. I found that most people said relatively the same thing, basically to change guitar strings every 6 months, once a year, every 2 years, or whenever they’re really worn. It was nice to use social media to get some friends/family involved in my project in a way. 🙂