Reflection on Debate 2:- Social Media is Ruining Childhood

I believe that children are being ruined by social media. Children today spend a lot of time on social media sites like TikTok, Instagram, and Snapchat, where they frequently view videos and pictures of several people. This can make them feel inadequate or insecure about their life. Watching reels of celebrities on different social apps and their luxurious lifestyle hurts the young generation. Instead of playing outside or having physical conversations, many kids are glued to their screens, missing out on important social skills and physical activity. Social media is hurting childhood because it exposes kids to a world that doesn’t seem always true or healthy for them

.                                               https://images.app.goo.gl/rgRJa4tt6CuGBu87A

Another significant issue is Cyberbullying, which can make it easier for abusers to target their victims online with no instant implications, which can result in severe problems including depression, anxiety, and even suicide intentions. Bullies target their victims through social media, messages, or emails and this problem increasing day-by-day worldwide. No doubt, social media connects people, but it can also lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation and raise distance between the family members. Moreover, excessive use of social media, especially before bed, can disrupt sleep patterns. Poor sleep is directly caused depression which make the people more lazy in the workplace. I share a YouTube video of a school girl who bullied by her friends. It really makes me to think about this diverse issue.

Against my favor:-

Like me, many people worry that social media is ruining childhood, but that’s not entirely true. Social media, when used wisely, can be a positive part of growing up. It enables children to maintain relationships with friends and relatives, particularly those who stay far away. It helps in their relationship-building and maintenance, which is a vital part of social development. Children can also use social media as an outlet for innovative thinking. They can showcase their ideas, music, and artwork to more people and gain supportive comments that help them feel more confident. Social media may also be a very useful teaching tool. Various web pages and communities have been allocated to teaching people new skills, such as how to cook, initiative, or play something musical.

Children can also learn important technological abilities from social media, which are vital in today’s environment. They not only learn the principles of internet safety and privacy, but they also learn how to properly communicate and navigate online spaces. When students get bigger and go into the workforce, they will require these talents. Children are also exposed to a variety of cultures and viewpoints through social media, which broadens their worldview and develops empathy. It’s critical that parents and educators support kids in using social media in an appropriate manner. Set some boundaries for kids include limiting smartphone usage, promoting a balance between online and offline activities, and educating children about the excessive use of social media. We can make sure children spend limited time on social media with the proper use

In brief, children today have both opportunities and challenges when it comes to social media. Although it might lead to feelings of inadequacy and expose them to cyberbullying, it also encourages creativity and social interaction. Social media can improve learning, and cultural awareness, and prepare for future technological abilities when used responsibly and under parental supervision.

4 thoughts on “Reflection on Debate 2:- Social Media is Ruining Childhood

1. Hello Taranpreet,

Your reflection captured the important parts of both sides of this debate very well. I think the video you shared was an important portrayal of the harsh reality kids are facing. It was a great example! I also appreciate that you mention that social media and phone usage disrupts sleeping patterns. I believe all technology does this and in my classroom for as long as I can remember this has been one of the main issues I experience. Kids come into school in the morning exhausted from playing video games all night, having sleepovers making TikTok’s all hours of the evening, or binge watching a new series all night. It is a serious problem for them when they are needing to focus and be attentive the next day in school.
    I agree with you that setting boundaries for the usage on kids smartphones is important.

Thanks for a great reflection!

2. Thank you for sharing this reflective post, Taranpreet! Your balanced examination of the debate on social media’s impact on childhood is insightful. You effectively highlight both the negative effects, such as cyberbullying and disrupted sleep patterns, and the positive aspects, like fostering creativity and maintaining relationships. Your discussion on setting boundaries for responsible use is particularly relevant. How do you think we can effectively teach children to balance their online and offline activities to mitigate the negative impacts of social media?

3. I think you did a great job really analyzing both sides while still arguing one side. I know many of my students who come to school exhausted from being up all night on their phones scrolling or on games. Another major issue in school is when students come to school with social media drama from the day/night before. Social media is setting the tone for the day and can really affect how a student is going to function and that can all happen before they even eat breakfast. I think you did a great job of highlighting some of the pros as well – it can be used for great things when used appropriately!

4. Hi Taranpreet! This is an excellent reflection of both sides of the debate! I agree with you that social media has both its positive and negative effects and that we, as adults, are the ones who have to make the children understand the effects.