Autobiographical Essay

My dreams of becoming a teacher started at a very young age. Growing up with my mom being a teacher, I knew that I wanted to follow in her footsteps. As a little girl, I have vivid memories of playing school and setting up my “classroom” in my playroom. Complete with an old wooden school desk with an inkwell. I always enjoyed going to my mom’s school and meeting the “big kids” that she taught. I loved being in the school environment and dreamed of having my own classroom just like hers, one day. As I got older, I quickly understood that teaching was a whole lot more than a nice classroom and having the summers off. I began to see just how much of being a teacher was brought home with my mom each day. I witnessed countless hours spent doing report cards, all of the marking that is done outside of school time, the weight she carries when her students are struggling, and even the heartbreak of losing a student. But I also got to witness the joy when my mom and I got to attend the wedding of one of her very first students, the happiness when we would run into former students, the stories she would tell of old students coming back to visit her, and even the simple love of setting up her classroom each fall to welcome in a new group of students.  Having the ability to witness all of these things for as long as I can remember, has allowed me to truly appreciate the teaching profession. My mom loves being a teacher, helping students learn, and being a positive role model in their lives. I have always admired this and wish to do the same. I am fully aware that it is not an easy profession. However, I have seen how rewarding it can be. I want to continue to bring joy to teaching and to my own students one day.

One of my main goals for my future as a teacher is to be able to make an impact on students’ lives. If I can make a lasting impact on at least one student’s life, then I believe that I have fulfilled my duty as a teacher. The reason for this ambition is because of two more wonderful ladies who also inspired me to become a teacher. Miss. Wendy Olson, my grade two teacher at Ruth M. Buck School, and Mrs. Keeley Skrypnyk, my guidance counsellor at Winston Knoll Collegiate.  I was in Miss. Olson’s very first class, they say that you never forget your first class. She was a teacher who I immediately connected with and had such a love for. Even once I was out of her class she coached my school volleyball team and after I left elementary school, we kept in touch. I still go visit her at her new school and we touch base often. She was the first teacher that truly made me feel loved and cared for. I remember her telling me, “My wish for you is that you will always have the confidence to do what you love, always love yourself first and the most, and always look for the best feeling emotion even in the stressful times… you will always come out on top!” I always knew that she was there for me and I think that everyone needs a Miss. Olson, at least once in their life. Throughout my school years, I was always a strong, confident, and happy student. However, in grade 11 I quickly saw the harsh reality of bullying. I was never one to ask for help but thank goodness, Mrs. Skrypnyk was there and saw my struggles. Not only was she there for a place to cry, but she also provided me with so much help in figuring out my future and choosing my path in Education. I never saw myself as a kid who needed this kind of support, but it really helped me get through my last two years of high school. I do not know what I would have done without her constant, support, encouragement, affirmations and constant reminders to take things one day at a time. At my informal 2020 graduation, she gifted me with the book, Educated by Tara Westover and wrote a note in the cover that read, “Taylor, may all of your teaching dreams come true. -Skryp”. I knew that she truly believed in me. Mrs. Skrypnyk has inspired me to not only pursue Education but to also have a goal of completing my masters and becoming a school guidance counsellor. I hope to be able to help students and show them support in the same way that she did for me.

My love for children and my dream to be a teacher inspired my volunteer work at W.H Ford Elementary School. During my morning spares, I volunteered in the Junior FIAP program at the school. This volunteering included reading with kids, assisting with feeding and hygiene needs, playing games, and helping with their behavioural or special needs. This experience was an affirmation for me that I want to be a teacher. I looked forward to waking up each morning and going to help these students, there was always a rewarding feeling when I left. I look forward to having this same feeling every day. When I finished high school after my first semester of grade 12, I got a job as a Casual Special Education Assistant with Regina Public Schools. I worked close to full time, subbing in different elementary schools throughout Regina until the Covid-19 pandemic hit and schools closed. I plan to continue this work throughout my years in university. Having this job gave me valuable hands-on experience in a variety of classrooms and schools. Working with different programs and ages, allowed me to see all of the challenges educators today face. I know that I am going into my chosen career with my eyes wide open. Teaching has always been a big part of my life, I grew up with my mom being a teacher and was inspired by many wonderful people along the way. My goal for my future is to teach, inspire, and shape as many young lives as I can. 

My mom’s classroom
Mrs. Skrypnyk
Miss. Olson
W.H Ford JR FIAP Class