Storying the Self #2- Kindergarten

Kindergarten. This is when my worldview changed. Up until this point, my understanding was that everybody looked like my Mom, my Dad, and me. Everybody had white skin, a loving home, and fun days full of adventures. During my first week of kindergarten this all changed, and my goodness did it change drastically. I remember my Mom and Dad helping me get ready for school and dropping me off for the first day. I remember stepping into the vibrant classroom. Walls covered in bright bulletin board spreads and learning posters of all sorts. There was a large carpeted area accompanied by shelves of books. This place looked like it was going to be fun!

With excitement in the air, my new classmates began to file in with their parents one by one. Finding their lockers and hanging up their backpacks just like I did. I had two classmates that caught my eye specifically. They were both girls with curly brown hair and very dark skin. Skin much darker than mine. They talked the same as me. They wrote and colored the same as me. But they looked different then me. This puzzled me. I had never seen someone my age, my height, and my gender have dark skin. This was going to require some extra observation and thought.

These two girls seemed to be with each other all of the time while we were at kindergarten. At center time, they went to the same center. At carpet time, they sat next to each other. They even showed up to school and left at the same time as each other. Their Mom even looked like them. She had black hair, brown eyes, and very dark skin. This was very interesting. I didn’t think much of it. I didn’t think it was bad that they had a different color of skin. It was just how their skin was. They were such nice girls and I liked having them as my classmates.

As I made my way through my elementary days, I later grasped the concept of last names. I gained a greater understanding of race. And it began to dawn on me that these two girls were absolutely, one-hundred percent, not sisters. They had different families and different cultural backgrounds. My perception of them being sisters was a completely incorrect assumption. It was an assumption I would have never made about classmates with white skin who were best friends and showed up to school together. So why did I jump to this conclusion about the two African American girls in my class?