Do I get Brownie Points for Trying?

I had no idea what to bake this week and spent so much time researching recipes…. until I saw an ad on Facebook about a Buzzfeed quiz that tells me what dessert I am. I immediately thought “well why should I sit here and decided for myself when Buzzfeed can just decide for me”. So I did the quiz and it told me I am like a brownie. Which ultimately bummed me out a bit since my last brownie incident.

If you don’t remember from my first blog post, I showed my failed attempt at making brownies. This was something I dreaded making. But I said I would let BuzzFeed choose…so challenge accepted!

I didn’t want just to google brownie recipes because that seemed too boring! I thought maybe I would come across one on Facebook or Twitter…but no. Little did I know…the app Recipe Box that I have been bragging out non-stop has a “discovery” category. I just had to check it out. It had a ton of recipes! I typed “brownies” into the search bar and a ton of different options came up. When I would click on the options, it would take me to a website, and I could copy that website back into recipe box to create the recipe.

I found the recipe that I wanted to use which was on a website called Together as Family (click for the brownie recipe). It was a very simple recipe to make, which was relieving because we all know how worried I was!

I liked how easy this recipe was to follow and how I was able to explore the website after for more recipes. I also liked how I can search up recipes directly on the recipe box app…who knew it could get any better. 

The brownies themselves baked perfectly. I ended up mixing together random measurements of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter, and milk to make icing for them. However….I have a confession…I wasn’t a fan of the brownies:( Everyone else that tried them liked them, so it may have been a personal preference, but they weren’t the fudgy, chewy brownies I was expecting. They ended up more like chocolate cake. Don’t get me wrong…I love chocolate cake. I was just so excited for this challenge after what happened the last time I tried to make brownies. 

My Brownies!

You live and you learn! My sister ended up asking me for this recipe so I am definitely not saying it’s a bad recipe! Just not quite for me.

That said…if anyone has a fudgy brownie recipe…please share it below! I would LOVE to try it!

Click here to watch the video of me making brownies!

Check out what else I made this week!

My little sister is in grade 4 this year and had her very first day of track and field the other day. She got first place in the two races she was entered in! She is so excited to be the only grade 4 girl from Melville that gets to move onto Yorkton’s track meet. I was so proud of her. She was very excited because last year was supposed to be her first track meet but was cancelled due to covid. Once I heard she placed first in the two races (and third in running long jump), I thought this could be my greatest baking challenge yet. I had an hour and a half to bake a cake, make the icing, and decorate it. I was planning on writing “congrats” on the cake to test out my decorating skills but ran out of time. The reason I ran out of time was that I got started with the first two steps of the random recipe I found in a rush for a vanilla cake, and as I started to move on I realized this was the most ridiculous recipe EVER. Well maybe for an amateur baker like myself.

Take a look at the recipe I attempted here.

Let’s just say I would not recommend it. The times and steps were very specific and confusing to someone who was in a rush. I ended up dumping the wet and dry ingredients in a bowl and mixing. I did not have time to follow the complex steps. Maybe once I improve at baking! After all the confusion I did not have time to write anything on the cake, so I dyed the frosting and added these rainbow chips I found at Winners!

The finished product
She approved!

3 thoughts on “Do I get Brownie Points for Trying?

1. Hi Taylor,

To start: yes, you absolutely get brownie points for trying, what an awesome title! I’ve really enjoyed the resources you have been able to find for finding recipes so far. As some one who is neither a great cook nor baker, I rely on recipes a lot whenever I decide to channel my inner chef (which ends up more like the less-appealing side of Gordon Ramsey minus his cooking skills). As for brownies, No Name instant mixes are a usual for me, but I may have to try out the recipe you’ve used here as those brownies look awesome! I’m sure your family is very pleased with your choice (and free food) with your learning project. Keep up the great work!

2. Hi Taylor,
    I love how you decided to pick what to make this week; often I find myself clicking on those quizzes you see pop up on Facebook to see what item or character they match you to. It’s nice to see that you attempted to make brownies after your first attempt did not work out the way they were supposed to. I know I’m guilty of not trying to attempt recipes again if they do not turn out, but I think that’s the perfectionist in me. I also think the cake you made turned out so cute, and you can tell from the photo you provided that your sister was enjoying it!