History in the Baking

This week I had some help with my baking. My little sister, Emma-Dee, was staying with me for a couple of days, so I thought it would be the perfect time to bake something yummy of her choice! She was super excited to hear that I had a blog and instantly wanted to take over. I was going over my past blog posts with her to see if they sparked any ideas of what we should bake…and it didn’t take very long. After reading the first paragraph of my first learning project post, she suggested we attempt making banana bars. I called my mom and asked for some overripe bananas, as I know she always has some in her freezer. I wanted to try to find a recipe on a social media platform, but I thought it may be tough as I already know exactly what I wanted to bake. To my surprise…there were a ton of recipes for banana bars on Tik Tok! Check out the video I followed on Tik Tok for Banana Chocolate Chip Bars! 

I did not realize how many people create baking videos on Tik Tok. I must have followed 10 new people! I am so excited for my FYP (for you page) on Tik Tok to be filled with various baking recipes.

No…I did not follow along with the video. Instead, I manually added this recipe to my Recipe Box app. This made it a lot easier when baking with Emma because she kept referring back to the recipe, as I had it open on my computer the whole time. Check out this YouTube video of Emma and I! The only critique about this recipe was that I needed to add more flour and bake it 2 minutes longer. Other than that….these were sooo good! 

My Banana Chocolate Chip Bars

Now that I have been continuously baking, I think I have better judgment when it comes to adjusting the recipe. I knew I needed to add more flour, and the bars came out perfectly. This was so much better than banana bread in my opinion. They were super easy to pack in Emma’s lunch and to have when you need to grab something quick in the morning! Personally, I liked them as my dessert after supper. As you can see in the video, there were a lot of bars. They only lasted about 3 days….I guess I will have to make more!

Emma enjoying the bars!

I also tried out a new no-bake recipe this week. I was really craving rice Krispie treats and got all the ingredients to make them, then I remembered someone telling me to make them with ruffle potato chips. At first, it seemed bizarre but the more I thought about it, the more I was like “hey, sweet and salty…might be good”. So back to the store I went. I got one bag of ruffles chips. Then I thought maybe I should look up a recipe. I went straight to google and clicked on this recipe: Ruffles Krispie Treats. This was super easy to make. The only changes I made to the recipe were that I used 5 cups of crushed chips instead of 6 cups because I only got 5 cups out of a whole bag and that I used an 8×8 pan instead of a 9×9 pan. What were the end results? I loved these so much that this is my new go-to for family events…so much better than the squares I usually buy from the grocery store! Even though this was a no-bake recipe, I’m super glad I tried it out.

Click here to get the recipe I followed and start making these treats! This was a great website called “Laurens Latest – Easy Family Friendly Recipes”. Super easy to follow along with and lots of great reviews that give you some tips and tricks. She also has a ton of other recipes!

6 thoughts on “History in the Baking

1. Hi Taylor! I’m glad you found a lot of recipes on TikTok. There is certainly a lot to explore on that app. Is it tricky to follow along with a TikTok baking recipe? I think it might be difficult, especially if the video is quite quick. But Recipe Box sounds like a great way to use the recipe so it’s easier to follow – I’ll have to check it out. I might have to try those no-bake Ruffles bars too! It sounds like you’ve learned a lot from this project and that you know the tricks of adjusting recipes so they turn out well, which is awesome! And it looks like Emma was super excited to bake with you and to star in the YouTube progress video, so it’s awesome you’re learning a skill you can have fun doing with others!

1. Hi Emily! Yes I definitely find it difficult to follow along on TikTok, so that is why I first put it into that app. That said, it was super beneficial to be able to watch the process first!

2. Those banana bars look super yummy! I appreciate you pointing out some of the changes that you had to make in your own baking when compared to the recipe! I find that with TikTok recipe videos, I usually just end up taking a ton of screenshots on my phone to capture each step. Recipe Box might make things easier for me! Thanks for sharing about your process. 🙂

3. The Ruffles Krispie Treats look super interesting. What is the flavour of them…sweet and salty? Thanks for sharing the recipie. I totally agree that Tik Tok has some great cooking and baking videos. I much prefer watching a Tik Tok about a recipie instead of reading a recipie.

4. Hey Taylor! So great to see your progress and that you’re really enjoying baking, everything looks delicious!

I actually made some cookies last night for the first time in a while, and it was super fun! I enjoy baking but don’t do it very frequently. I made cookie monster cookies which were super yummy. The recipe is listed on this website if you want to check it out, it’s super easy and quick – https://organicallyaddison.com/cookie-monster-cookies/