EC&I 830

The Great Debate on Technology in the Classroom

DEBATE #1: Technology and its ability to enhance learning

In my recent educational technology class, we had an insightful and engaging debate on whether technology in the classroom enhances learning. My classmates presented their arguments using various scholarly articles, making the discussion well-structured and informative. Here’s a recap of some key points made during the debate and my reflections on the overall experience.

Pro-Technology Arguments

1. Enhanced Engagement and Accessibility:
Proponents of technology in the classroom argued that digital tools significantly enhance student engagement and accessibility. For instance, mobile technology allows students to access educational content anytime and anywhere, making learning more flexible and engaging. Straker et al. (2018) found that mobile technology dominates school children’s IT use in advantaged communities. It can increase engagement in learning activities despite some associated health concerns (Straker, Harris, Joosten, & Howie, 2018). Furthermore, immersive virtual reality-based classrooms have been shown to enhance students’ learning performance in science lessons by providing interactive and engaging experiences (Liu, Wang, Lei, Wang, & Ren, 2020).

2. Improved Academic Performance:
Another point favouring technology was its potential to improve academic performance through personalized learning. Adaptive learning platforms can tailor educational content to individual student needs, helping them learn at their own pace and according to their unique learning styles. The Pew Research Center’s study by Purcell, Buchanan, and Friedrich (2013) highlighted that digital tools positively impact student writing and how writing is taught in schools, suggesting that technology can enhance traditional educational methods (Purcell, Buchanan, & Friedrich, 2013). Additionally, Furió et al. (2015) found that mobile learning can be more effective than traditional classroom lessons in specific contexts, leading to better student outcomes (Furió, Juan, Seguí, & Vivó, 2015).

3. Access to a Wealth of Resources:
Technology provides students with access to a vast array of resources and information that would otherwise be unavailable. The shift to online education during the COVID-19 pandemic highlighted this benefit. Shaikh et al. (2023) discussed how the pandemic necessitated a move to online learning, which, despite cybersecurity challenges, offered students continuous access to educational materials and resources (Shaikh, Khan, Sultana, & Akhter, 2023).

Anti-Technology Arguments

1. Distraction and Multitasking:
Critics argue that technology can be a significant source of distraction for students. Junco and Cotten (2012) found a negative correlation between multitasking with digital devices and academic performance. Students who frequently used Facebook or texted while studying had lower GPAs, indicating that technology might hinder rather than help learning when not used appropriately (Junco & Cotten, 2012).

2. Physical Health Concerns:
Another concern was the potential adverse effects on students’ physical health. Prolonged use of mobile technology can lead to musculoskeletal and visual symptoms among schoolchildren, as Straker et al. (2018) found. This raises questions about the long-term implications of integrating technology into daily classroom activities (Straker et al., 2018).

3. Digital Inequality:
There was also a discussion on digital inequality and how it might exacerbate educational disparities. Warschauer and Matuchniak (2010) analyzed evidence of equity in access, use, and outcomes of new technology. They found that students from disadvantaged backgrounds might not benefit equally from digital tools due to a lack of access and resources. This poses a significant challenge in ensuring that technology enhances learning for all students, not just those who can afford it (Warschauer & Matuchniak, 2010).

My Reflections on the Debate

Watching my classmates debate this topic was incredibly engaging. The structured format allowed both sides to present their arguments clearly and thoughtfully respond to each other’s points. It was fascinating to see how well-researched arguments and real-world examples were used to back up each stance.

I found myself torn between two opposing views. On one hand, the benefits of technology in enhancing engagement and providing personalized learning experiences are undeniable. On the other hand, the concerns about distraction, physical health, and digital inequality are equally compelling.

One particularly intriguing argument came from Harris, Al-Bataineh, and Al-Bataineh (2016), who demonstrated that one-to-one technology programs can significantly enhance student academic achievement and motivation (Harris, Al-Bataineh, & Al-Bataineh, 2016). Additionally, Kris Alexander’s TED Talk highlighted how video games can level up the way we learn by making learning more engaging and interactive (Alexander, 2021).

In conclusion, the debate highlighted that the effectiveness of technology in the classroom largely depends on how it is implemented. It is essential to strike a balance, ensuring digital tools support and enhance learning without introducing new barriers or health concerns. As educators, it is crucial to be mindful of these factors and work towards integrating technology to benefit all students. Technology does indeed enhance learning.

References

Furió, D., Juan, M.-C., Seguí, I., & Vivó, R. (2015). Mobile learning vs. traditional classroom lessons: a comparative study. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 31(3), 189–201. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcal.12071

Harris, J. L., Al-Bataineh, M. T., & Al-Bataineh, A. (2016). One-to-One Technology and its Effect on Student Academic Achievement and Motivation. Contemporary Educational Technology, 7(4), 368-. https://doi.org/10.30935/cedtech/6182

Junco, R., & Cotten, S. R. (2012). No, A 4 U: The relationship between multitasking and academic performance. Computers & Education, 59(2), 505-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2011.12.023

Liu, R., Wang, L., Lei, J., Wang, Q., & Ren, Y. (2020). Effects of an immersive virtual reality‐based classroom on students’ learning performance in science lessons. British Journal of Educational Technology, 51(6), 2034–2049. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjet.13028

Purcell, K., Buchanan, J., & Friedrich, L. (2013). The Impact of Digital Tools on Student Writing and How Writing is Taught in Schools. Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Teachers-technology-and-writing

Shaikh, S., Khan, N., Sultana, A., & Akhter, N. (2023). Online Education and Increasing Cyber Security Concerns During Covid-19 Pandemic. Proceedings of ICAMIDA 2022.

Straker, L., Harris, C., Joosten, J., & Howie, E. K. (2018). Mobile technology dominates school children’s IT use in an advantaged school community and is associated with musculoskeletal and visual symptoms. Ergonomics, 61(5), 658-669.

Warschauer, M., & Matuchniak, T. (2010). New technology and digital worlds: Analyzing evidence of equity in access, use, and outcomes. Review of Research in Education, 34(1), 179-225. https://doi.org/10.3102/0091732X09349791

Alexander, K. (2021). How video games can level up the way you learn. TED.

DEBATE #2: Social Media is ruining childhood

My educational technology class recently debated whether social media is ruining childhood. My classmates presented compelling arguments using various scholarly articles and online resources, making the discussion comprehensive and engaging. Here’s a recap of some key points in the debate and my reflections on the overall experience.

Pro-Social Media Arguments

1. Social Connectivity and Support:
Proponents argue that social media provides a platform for children and teenagers to connect with peers, form relationships, and seek support. According to a report by O’Keeffe and Clarke-Pearson (2011), social media allows teens to accomplish tasks crucial to them offline, such as staying connected with friends and family, making new friends, sharing pictures, and exchanging ideas. Social media participation can also offer adolescents more profound benefits that extend into their view of self, community, and the world (O’Keeffe & Clarke-Pearson, 2011).

2. Educational Opportunities:
Another point favouring social media is its potential to enhance learning and provide educational content. Social media platforms can be used to share educational resources, participate in online discussions, and collaborate on school projects. O’Keeffe and Clarke-Pearson (2011) highlighted that middle and high school students use social media to connect on homework and group projects, enhancing their learning opportunities (O’Keeffe & Clarke-Pearson, 2011).

3. Development of Digital Literacy:
Proponents also emphasized the importance of digital literacy in the modern world. Social media use can help children and teenagers develop essential digital skills for future academic and career success. Proficient in navigating social media platforms can also teach critical thinking skills as users learn to discern credible information from misinformation.

Anti-Social Media Arguments

1. Impact on Mental Health:
Critics argue that social media can have a detrimental impact on children’s mental health. The Child Mind Institute points out that excessive social media use can lead to issues such as anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem. The constant comparison with peers and the pressure to present a perfect online image can contribute to these mental health challenges (Child Mind Institute).

2. Shortened Attention Spans:
Another concern is that social media is shortening children’s attention spans. An article from The Queen’s Journal suggests that the constant influx of information and the fast-paced nature of social media can make it difficult for children to focus on longer, more demanding tasks. This can affect their academic performance and ability to engage in deep, meaningful learning (The Queen’s Journal).

3. Cyberbullying and Privacy Issues:
Critics also highlighted the risks of cyberbullying and privacy concerns associated with social media use. Cyberbullying can have severe emotional and psychological effects on children and teenagers. O’Keeffe and Clarke-Pearson (2011) discuss the prevalence of cyberbullying and its potential to cause depression, anxiety, severe isolation, and even suicide (O’Keeffe & Clarke-Pearson, 2011). Furthermore, heavy social media use can negatively impact parent-child relationships, as indicated by Sampasa-Kanyinga et al. (2020), who found that heavy use of social media is associated with greater odds of negative relationships between parents and children (Sampasa-Kanyinga, Goldfield, Kingsbury, Clayborne, & Colman, 2020).

My Reflections on the Debate

The debate on whether social media is ruining childhood was incredibly engaging and thought-provoking. The structured format allowed both sides to present their arguments clearly and thoughtfully respond to each other’s points. It was fascinating to see how well-researched arguments and real-world examples were used to back up each stance.

I found myself leaning towards a balanced perspective. While social media has undeniable benefits, such as fostering connectivity and offering educational opportunities, it poses significant risks to children’s mental health, attention spans, and privacy. The key takeaway for me is that moderation and guidance are essential. Parents, educators, and policymakers must work together to ensure that social media is used to maximize its benefits while minimizing its potential harms.

In conclusion, the debate highlighted that social media’s impact on childhood is complex and multifaceted. It is crucial to approach this issue with a balanced perspective, recognizing social media’s opportunities and challenges. We can help children navigate the digital world safely and effectively by fostering digital literacy and providing appropriate guidance.

Thank you for reading! If you have any thoughts or experiences regarding social media and childhood, feel free to share them in the comments. Let’s continue this meaningful conversation.

References

Child Mind Institute. (n.d.). How Using Social Media Affects Teenagers. Retrieved from https://childmind.org/article/how-using-social-media-affects-teenagers/

O’Keeffe, G. S., & Clarke-Pearson, K. (2011). The impact of social media on children, adolescents, and families. Pediatrics, 127(4), 800-804. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-0054

Sampasa-Kanyinga, H., Goldfield, G. S., Kingsbury, M., Clayborne, Z., & Colman, I. (2020). Social media use and parent-child relationship: A cross-sectional study of adolescents. Journal of Community Psychology, 48(3), 793-803. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.22293

The Queen’s Journal. (n.d.). Social Media is Shortening Our Attention Spans. Retrieved from https://www.queensjournal.ca/social-media-is-shortening-our-attention-spans/

Hi there, I am a full-time high school mathematics teacher in Saskatchewan. I am also a single mom to my daughter, Ardann. I am currently taking my Masters of Adult Education and Human Resources through the University of Regina. My long-term goal is to teach at the University of Regina, in a Mathematics course. I keep busy playing volleyball in a competitive women's league twice a week, coaching the senior girls' volleyball team in my school, and doing activities with my daughter. I have a love for art as well, which is practiced by drawing intricate chalk art outside for my daughter or her favourite characters on my iPad.

• Greg Hetterley

Hi Allysia!

Your blogpost was very thoughtful and well-researched! I enjoyed that you looked at both the positives and the negatives across both topics. Almost like mini debate for yourself! It is really important to understand both sides of the story though and be holistic in our approaches. Understanding the good and the bad can definitely help us as we move forward and try to educate the younger ones when it comes to this sort of thing. The more we understand, the more we can help transfer that knowledge and make those growing up more literate!

Hetterley

• Ashlyn Schutte

Hello Allysia!

I appreciate your well-organized and informative reflections. I specifically wanted to comment on debate #2! I agree that the debaters had prepared well and presented great information and you have done a great job summarizing that!
    Social media is going nowhere so supporting, educating, and preparing children for it is the best way forward. I appreciated reading about your balanced perspective after the debate.
    Thanks!

• Aradhana Sapru

An insightful summary of both debates. Thank you for all your comments. Since I was one of the debaters on Debate#1, appreciate it!! You have summarized them quite well!!

• Sydney

Thanks for your post! I completely agree that social media and childhood needs to be two fold. On one hand, it is not going anywhere so with that, we need to teach children how to effectively and safely use these different platforms.