And Sew It Continues . . .

fabric scissors needle needles scissors

The next project I am going to create is a scrunchie because I got the fantastic suggestion from both Alex and Allysia on my previous felt owl post. When I went looking for an easy hand sewing scrunchie tutorial I found Sew Crafty Me. The blog had lots of pictures and easy to read text so I think it will be a useful place to begin.

When I was reading the instructions, they indicated that I will need to know how to do a backstitch and the ladder stich. I already know how to the ladder stitch, but I have never done the backstitch before. So before I start making scrunchies and reliving my 90’s, I need to practice the backstitch.

In my first blog post about stitches I used Dixie’s blog and YouTube Channel
Treasurie. I really liked her style of explaining and showing the stitches so I returned to her YouTube channel.

Here is her YouTube video on how to backstitch:

I used white felt and red embroidery thread to practice my stitches so it would show up well in photos. When I make the scrunchies, I’ll probably use a coordinating thread so it doesn’t show.

I think I am ready to start making scrunchies now! What colours or patterns do think I should make?

-Tina

4 thoughts on “And Sew It Continues . . .

1. Hey Tina,
    I am excited to see these scrunchies! Personally, I like bright fun colors or animal prints. Cheetah would be my go to! Your stitch line is very straight. I don’t know much about sewing, but I feel like that is important.
    Happy scrunchie making!

-Shana

2. Hey Tina,
    It sounds like you’ve done your homework on the art of scrunchie making and are ready to create one! As someone who is partially color blind, I don’t think my color suggestions would do you much good. But nevertheless, I wish you luck and can’t wait to see how it turns out!

3. Hi Tina!
    It appears you have done the correct steps to further learn how to sew! I love scrunchies and I am so excited to see how they turn out for you!

Paige