Rewinding Back to Ribble’s Elements of Digital Citizenship

Person in gray long sleeve shirt using macbook pro

Way back on March 17th our class discussed Ribble’s nine elements of digital citizenship. It was a fantastic class full of great, thought provoking information, however, life got a way on me and I am just being able to blog about it now. Turns out leading a school though a pandemic takes up a bit of your time.

Ribble’s Nine Elements for Digital Citizenship are as follows:

• Digital Access
  • Digital Commerce
  • Digital Communication and Collaboration
  • Digital Etiquette
  • Digital Fluency
  • Digital Health and Welfare
  • Digital Law
  • Digital Rights and Responsibility
  • Digital Security and Privacy

Each of these elements should be integrated and woven into our specific curriculums where developmentally and thematically appropriate. I was going to highlight some very specific outcomes and indicators, but I found a fantastic website that already completed that!

Media Smarts Website – Click image to access the hyperlink

The Media Smarts website has a variety of curricular connections already identified as well as links to specific lesson plans that link to the nine elements of citizenship. It is not all inclusive, but is a great resource to start with.

Currently, my school division as well as others are teaching remotely. This has really highlighted the first element – digital access. We have tried to accommodate each need, but access isn’t equal. Our division provided our families with 40+ Chromebooks, hotspots, and bus drivers delivering paper/hard copy materials for families. Teachers, myself included, have also been very flexible in how students submit assignments to work around any technology needs.

SaskTel supporting teachers and families with online learning and digital access

In our new world of online teaching, digital etiquette has also been highlighted. Muting microphones, being appropriate on camera, and using the tools such as “raise hand” and the chat box to answer questions has become the new routine. (Although I would like if the students turned on their camera at least once for some visual feedback). Something that wasn’t as relevant at the start of last school year is now the norm.

Since I am so late to the game with this post, I am able to link so some of my classmates blog posts on the same subject. Check out Laura, Ian, or Trista’s blogs for some more great resources and insights!

-Tina

One thought on “Rewinding Back to Ribble’s Elements of Digital Citizenship

1. Wonderful job, Tina! The topic of digital citizenship has so many different perspectives and underlying themes, so it’s great that you outlined Mike Ribble’s 9 Elements of Digital Citizenship in your post. Mike Ribble has so many inspiring ideas when it comes to this topic. Media Smarts is also a great place to find resources and information on this topic so I’m glad you brought it up for your readers! I like how it directly relates to the Saskatchewan curriculum. I completely agree with you- digital access is something that we have become more aware of during the pandemic. It’s great to hear that your school is prioritizing this and making it possible for students to learn remotely in a flexible way. You have probably learned so much about this topic from your experience as an administrator this year. I can’t even imagine how busy you must be! You are doing a great job of balancing it all. I hope you’re able to take some time for yourself as well. Wonderful job this semester. You are an incredible leader and life-long learner! Thanks for your continued engagement and encouragement with others in this class. Well done!