Sew, What Did I Learn?

sewing, thread, craft

We have finally reached the end of the semester (and my certificate – I think!) which means my learning project is also now complete.

Sew. . . lets recap my progress over the last few months.

Weekly Recaps

Week One – #Learning Project

In the first post, I discussed my intentions for the project and my general outline. I wanted to be able to sew a button, learn basic stitches, mend my clothes and fix a zipper. Turns out I was able to accomplish 3/4 goals.

Week Two – Buttons are Sew Much Fun

Resource: Treasurie’s YouTube
This week I focused on learning how to sew a button onto felt. I was able to complete this task for both 2 holed and 4 holed buttons.

Week Three – Running with Scissors

Resources: Apartment Therapy Blog, Instructables Blog, Rokolee DIY YouTube, Melly Sews YouTube
This week I learned how to do three basic stitches – running stich, ladder stitch, and blanket stitch. These stitches would help create my later sewing projects. I also learned that videos are way better than blogs in learning these skills.

Week Four – Sewing is a Hoot

Resources: Juicy Bits Blog
My week consisted of creating tiny stuffed owls out of felt. To create the owls, I had to use the skills from the previous weeks – sew buttons, running stitch, and blanket stitch. I was able to make 2 different owls this week.

Week Five – Those Who Can’t Do, Teach . . .

New Tool: Wakelet
I really stepped out of my comfort zone this week by teaching 80+ students how to sew. I had a class a day for four days and each student was able to make their own owl or two. I had to practice my skills so I was able to teach it, be able to problem solve their trouble spots, and provide adaptations to meet all my students needs. Oh, and meet all the COVID protocols for shared materials.

Week Six – And Sew it Continues . . .

Resource: Treasurie’s YouTube
The next project I wanted to make was a scrunchie, however, I need to learn how to back stitch first. This week I went back to Treasurie’s YouTube channel and learned how to backstitch.

Week Seven – Scrunchie Sunday

Resource: Sew Crafty Me Blog
Scrunchie making consisted of using my previous backstitching and ladder stich skills to make a cute hair accessory. The blog was super informative and easy to follow, but mislead me on the time commitment. The blog said a scrunchie could be made in 15 minutes and it took me much, much longer.

Week Eight – Scrunching for Time

New Tools: iMovie and WeVideo
In response to last week’s project, I decided to try the scrunchie making again and attempt to beat my previous time. This week I filmed the whole process the best I could and used the two video creation tools to make a high speed video.

Week Nine – Mask Making

Resource: Sew Crafty Blog
It wouldn’t be 2020/21 without some kind of mention of a face mask. I returned to the Sew Crafty blog and used their instructions to make a cute face mask.

Week Ten – Hashbrown’s Modelling Debut

Resource: Charmed by Ashley YouTube and Blog
Last official sewing project was a cute collar bandana for my favourite friend – Hashbrown. She is my very spoiled pup and I wanted to make her something to make up for all the extra computer time.

Week Eleven – It’s a Secret

New Tool: Canva video
There is no blog post for this project, but stick around to watch my summary of learning to see what I have been up to lately.

Learning Reflections

To learn the various skills and complete each project, it was very beneficial to have videos and blogs to support my learning. It was best when there was a blog and video rather than just one of the tools. To document my process in learning the skills, I relied on pictures for a few reasons:

• Easy to do by myself
  • I don’t own a tripod or an easy way to prop up my phone
  • Most projects took over an hour so when you edit down the video I would loose some of the details.
  • My hands got in the way

Therefore, if anyone wanted to learn how to sew they should utilize any of the resources I used instead of using me as a resource. I particuallry liked Treasurie’s videos and the Sew Crafty Me blog which I accessed multiple times.

One resource that I didn’t explore, that I maybe should have, is Tik Tok. I currently do not have a Tik Tok account, but knowing who I am as a person I know I would spend too much time on there and get even farther behind in my work. I’m an expert procrastinator and I needed to stay focused this semester.

Although I wasn’t able to replace a zipper, which was one of my original goals, I feel confident that if I needed to replace one, I could access online resources to learn the necessary skills to do so.

In conclusion, I was successful in learning how to sew using online sources. I was able to increase my skill set and create a few fun cute projects along the way. I was also able to try a few new tech tools to help me document the process.

What are your thoughts of my learning project? What do you think my secret week eleven project is?

-Tina

5 thoughts on “Sew, What Did I Learn?

1. Hey Tina,
    Congratulations on reaching the end of the semester and also for completing your certificate, that is such an exciting achievement! I am on the exact same page with you when it comes to TikTok. Knowing myself I would fall down that rabbit hole and never get out, but I am glad that you have been able to find other resources that have guided you through and your end products have looked great. Honestly, I have no guesses for your final week but I’m excited to see what it is and I wish you the best of luck with it!
    -Caleb

2. Hi Tina!
    It has been cool watching you develop your skills over the course of this project. My favorite projects are still the stuffed owl and the bandana for Hashbrown 🙂 . I have a friend who is pretty into sewing and I showed her the owl and dog scarf/bandana the other day and she thought they were awesome too! She mentioned a couple of YouTube channels that she likes:
    1) MADE Everyday: This one contains a variety of projects for making anything from clothes to lampshades
    2) Stitch Sisters: This one has lessons on making DIY fashion stuff (clothes, bags, clothing alterations, etc.)
    I hope that you found something you really enjoy through this project! Once again, great job 🙂
    Ian

1. Thank you, Ian. You are always so positive with your comments. Make sure to check back on my summary of learning to see my secret final, final project!

3. Hi Tina!
    It’s great to see just how much you have learned in the past semester’s weeks, I am totally excited to see the secret project you are working on! It was great to see you working on new projects every week and how well your learning was going. I hope you continue to use your new skills in the future!
    Paige