Autobiography

Becoming a teacher is always something that has been a thought in my mind, but it was not something I had decided on until my last year of high school. For the longest time, I had decided that I was going to do something in healthcare and that I was going to university to become an optometrist. Over the summer of 2019, I had still been set on this, however, as soon as school started back up I started to second guess myself. This is when I started to think about becoming a teacher again because I knew being around children was something I loved. I have a big family, so I was expected to grow up fast to help out whenever I could. Since a young age I have worked with children in many jobs and extracurricular activities, and in many cases have witnessed children struggle with home situations, learning disabilities, or mental illness, as well as living with my own struggles. This got me thinking about the teachers who had helped me through my tough times, and I empathized with the other children going through some of the same things. I knew that I wanted to go into a profession where I could make a difference in someone’s life and by becoming a teacher I could do that. Through my experiences with my big family, working with children in past jobs, and past teachers helping me work through my own experiences I have discovered I want to become a teacher. 

Growing up in a big active family with three younger siblings I was forced to grow up fast, but I did not mind. Whether I was helping my siblings with homework, babysitting them, or getting them to their activities I loved to help out. I believe that my experience with my family has sparked why I wanted to become a teacher. Helping out even in the smallest way made me feel like a leader. For example, when I taught my siblings something new or helped them learn as an easier way to understand a subject, I felt like I was doing something amazing and it gave me a rush. I formed tighter bonds with them, gave them someone they could talk to, and became a role model. I found joy in being looked up to and knew this was something I wanted to do in my future.

Since the age of ten, I have been working with children in all kinds of jobs and volunteer experiences. My first work experience would have of when I started coaching in the local Canskate programs and immediately fell in love with it. I enjoyed the thought of children looking up to me, wanting me to teach them everything I could do; however, I quickly discovered the struggles that accompanied: the fit throwing because they do not want to do something, the ones that are too afraid to do anything, and the communicating with parents. Despite these challenges, I never let them discourage me. Over the summer of 2019, I was a Park Program leader where I performed many similar activities a teacher would do. I organized trips, activities, sports, and learning opportunities for the children in the program, some of who were struggling with difficult situations such as mental health. They were looking for something positive in their lives, so I tried my best to make the program enjoyable. Because I personally have experienced mental health difficulties, I knew that focussing on something positive can sometimes help, so I wanted my activities to be that “something positive”. These experiences made me fall in love with working with children and made me feel like I was making a difference. 

At the age of eight, I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and struggle with it to this day. When I was younger it stemmed mainly from separation anxiety and I had a hard time going to school. I worked with therapists for years, but if it were not for a couple of teachers along the way I would not be where I am today. In grades five and six I had a teacher who has played a big role in why I want to be a teacher now. If it were not for her giving me someone to trust and know I could talk to I know I would not have made any progress in my journey. She adjusted her teaching to the other students and my needs so we would not fall behind and feel forgotten. As I got older, I learned ways to live with my anxiety but still needed help along the way. In high school, I also had a couple of teachers who helped me with my struggles. I knew I could talk to them about whatever I needed; whether that be about school, personal wellbeing, or issues with friends. Without teachers like this leading the way, children can get stuck or lost between the cracks of society. They need guidance, help, and reassurance along the way so that they believe they can do anything, and that is what these teachers did for me. 

Through my own experience with my big family, working with children, and teachers who helped me I learned I wanted to be a teacher.  From a young age, I learned that I loved working with children and have even built bonds with them. I saw how my teachers-built relationships with us, and I knew that was something I wanted to do in my future. I learned that I want to be a teacher so I can inspire the love of learning, be a positive role model to whom children can relate and provide children with the chance to be anything they want to be.  Without these experiences, this never would have happened, and I would not have it any other way.