• EC&I830

AI Tools could encourage us to change the teaching game

When exploring technology, one key concept that jumps to the forefront is that it is ever-evolving. This holds to be true when we examine the abundant amount of educational technology we have at our fingertips and all the diversity it encompasses. There always seems to be a new program, software, or application that is being released. The technology that is available to educators and students nowadays is very different from what was available 30 years ago in the classroom. At times, it can feel a little overwhelming to try and stay current with all this new technology while figuring out ways to incorporate it into the curriculum. As more and…

• EC&I830

Excited to be here! 😊

Hi everyone! My name is Valeska Porras and I am really excited to be taking EC&I 830 this semester with all of you. I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge when it comes to educational technology and learning about new technology that could be used in the classroom to help engage my students. I am a French Immersion teacher with Regina Public Schools, and I have been teaching with this division for the past ten years. Currently, I am the Grade 2 French Immersion teacher at École Centennial School.  I started my graduate program last winter and this is my sixth course toward my Master’s in Education. Like many…

• EC&I833

Summary of Learning – That’s a wrap! 😊

It’s hard to believe that the semester is coming to an end. As I am posting my “Summary of Learning” to my blog, I am excited to see where my tech journey will take me in the future! I went a little out of my comfort zone with my final project and I researched something new that I have wanted to try out for years now. I figured now is the time to go for it when I was feeling inspired to create. For my final project in EC & I 833, I decided to create my own virtual classroom! I can’t tell you how many tutorials I watched to…

• EC&I833

What can we achieve by bringing in VR or AR into the classroom? 🤔

When I think back to my first experiences with the concept of Virtual Reality as a child, the “View Master” camera comes to mind where we could “[bring] our favourite movie scenes to life [or we could be transported] to some of the best scenic landmarks in the world with the push of a button” (Retro Dodo). It was one of the toys I enjoyed the most and I was constantly bugging my parents to purchase new slides for me to use with this camera. There was something very appealing as preschooler to be able to see different scenes through a camera and have a scenery up so close that…

• EC&I833

Making coding possible in the classroom 😊👏

I will not lie that when I saw that this week we were going to be looking at the topic of coding and makerspaces, I started having flashbacks to my high school computer science classes where I always seemed to be lost amongst all the codes we were expected to use to create Excel Spreadsheets or Websites. I expected to be lost throughout the whole presentation and may have even panicked – just for a second – when I saw we were going to be trying out coding firsthand during class. Imagine my surprise, when I started trying out the coding program and not only understood the process but also…

• EC&I833

Assistive Technology bringing accessibility into the classroom 👏👏👏

As the World Health Organization mentions, assistive technology “enables and promotes inclusion and participation, especially of persons with disability, aging populations, and people with non-communicable diseases. The primary purpose of assistive products is to maintain or improve an individual’s functioning and independence, thereby promoting their well-being. They [also] enable people to live healthy, productive, independent, and dignified lives, and to participate in education, the labour market and civic life”. When we refer to assistive technology in education it is considered to be “the use of devices and software to improve the experience of learning or going about daily life. Assistive technology can range from Braille displays and books to text-to-speech software…

• EC&I833

Assessment Technology – Kahoot in the classroom😊

This week we looked at assessment technology in class and we were asked to choose one assessment tool that we wanted to try out with our kiddos. I was impressed with all the different assessment technology that has become available in recent years. For example, Quizizz and Pear Deck were new tools that I had never heard about until recently this year. When having to choose an assessment technology tool to use with my Grade 2 students, I considered many different aspects that would ensure my students had a positive experience using the assessment tool I picked for them as well as select an assessment technology that would be able…

• EC&I833

“The Social Dilemma”

To be raised in a digital era surrounded by an abundant amount of Social Media applications sounds like a wonderful opportunity to open doors to endless possibilities. Social Media is such a complex topic to grasp and it is difficult to understand all the positives as well as negatives linked to this technology. It seems for every positive we can identify related to Social Media, there is most definitely a negative associated with this technology (if not more…). The documentary entitled “The Social Dilemma” features different interviews with different individuals who pioneered various social media platforms (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.) and explains how something that was meant to be…

• EC&I833

Is online learning really all it’s cracked up to be? 🤔

Reflecting on my experience it is quite evident that technology is heavily engrained in my work life as well as my student life. I use technology daily at work and now that a good chunk of my graduate courses is delivered online, I also rely on technology immensely to complete my assignments for my graduate courses. From the moment I arrive at school, I rely on technology to accomplish all the administrative tasks linked to my work, to help me engage my students, and to help me stay connected with staff and families. I walk into my classroom and from the moment I sit down at my desk and start…

• EC&I833

Is productivity really about the amount of tasks we complete or is about the quality of our work? 🤔

As I was watching the video assigned for our blog post this week, I will admit that I had various “tabs” open in my mind and I kept thinking about my “to-do list”. Ever since I entered the workforce, it was ingrained in me that multi-tasking was one of the most desirable traits an employee could hold. Multi-tasking has always been mentioned as a desirable quality in all my revised versions of my CV and I never saw it as a negative factor that could possibly affect my productivity. As James Hamblin started mentioning how he could not remember the last time he did something without trying to do something…