Growing up as a child I never thought that I would be in the place where I am today. It is interesting and also terrifying to think about where life would brings us, but that is what makes it exciting. I was born in the bustling capital city of the Philippines in Manila on April 12, 1996. I grew up in a comfortable household with my parents and three other siblings, we did everything that most families would do such as eat dinner, go to church on Sundays, travel together, and celebrate holidays. The sense of “norm” and comfort that I felt suddenly changed when my Father left us, I started to question so many things. I questioned my belief especially where the whole foundation of my livelihood growing up was built on and also why I follow them if the man that was supposed to be setting a good example broke it. After all that I learned to become independent and in a way “stronger” so that I could stand in my own feet, hold my ground, and help my family out without my Father in the picture.

Schools in the Philippines are very Catholic and Eurocentric at least in the area where I come from, but for the most part that goes for the whole country, children are taught based on the core values of the religion and I have experienced this from Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 6. It is also mandatory for all students to wear a “uniform”, I have always thought that they were ridiculous since it made me feel like a was an inmate in a jail cell. Despite all the things I have said about the Education system in the Philippines, it still taught me a lot and I am grateful for that since it helped me significantly on the next stage of my life which is immigrating in a foreign land where everything and everyone besides my immediate family is new.

On the day of November 17, 2008 my family and I left the Philippines to immigrate in Canada. It was a decision solely made by my parents. They wanted to start a new life for all of us; a new beginning, a change that would hopefully give us a better future. At first, it was a struggle to leave everything behind but after we landed in Toronto on November 19th and disembarked from our plane; I knew that I was meant to be here. It was the first snowfall of the season in Toronto when we arrived, it was my first time seeing snow. Looking outside as I watched the snow stick to the ground from inside the airport lounge, I had a glimpse of what I had left behind in the Philippines: my extended family, my friends, my school, and my life at the time and everything else that mattered to me. It was difficult, but I had to come to the reality that this is now my life and adjust immediately.

When I started school in Canada back in sixth grade I was very anxious even though I knew how to read, write, and speak English fluently already; my understanding of the basic ways of life in this new world were limited. Making friends and communicating with people in general proved to be utterly grueling. Luckily enough I was not alone since the community at my school offered support and guidance for my future endeavours. I was placed in English Additional Language (EAL) program for a couple of years, I thought it was unnecessary for me but eventually I moved on to the main streamed classes when I reached eighth grade. Finally, I have become completely fluent in English where I met the required “standards” during my late elementary years. The full immersion in an English dominated region certainly helped me out adjust. Unfortunately, after all that ended a new issue aroused… and that is adolescence and having to worry about fitting in. For awhile I have become so Canadian that I forgot that I was also Filipino. At one point I made an exception to only hangout with “Canadians”, it was so disgraceful. Over the long haul, however, I learned to balance and respect both of my nationalities. Being a 1st generation immigrant is surely not an easy task as we always seem to be stuck between two worlds.

After several years spent in Canada, I have learned to integrate myself in the general population, but at the same time hold on to my traditions, language, and beliefs. Presently, I do enjoy a good cup of coffee from Timmies, and I learned to appreciate winter sports from school here in Canada. Skiing in particular pumps me up; sliding down steep hills and winding pathways are my favourite. On a different context, I also often find myself saying “sorry” a lot now. Despite all the cliché and unoriginality, it has now become a part of my identity as a Canadian as well. I honestly think that I would not be the person that I am today if I had not move to Canada as a young child. I appreciate all the opportunities that this wonderful country has given to me and my family.

After I graduated high school I took the time to experience and travel first since I believed that it would help me later in life. It was the best decision that I have done at the time since it taught me to become more responsible and confident. It also gave me more time to grow and develop as a person because I absolutely had no idea of what I wanted to do after high school. From there I started doing odd jobs such as working at a hotel, pumping gas, customer service, and finally instructing swimming. The most rewarding job that I ever had was teaching kids how to swim, the joy and excitement of being around them is just the best feeling. I worked and then travelled multiple times continentally between June 2015-August 2018. Finally, I decided to pursue Education since I also want to be able to help immigrant children like myself adjust and find their path in a strange place where everything is new.

Throughout the years since the beginning I have learned that wherever I went education mainly revolved around the “colonial” or “Eurocentric” ways, whether it was Philippines or Canada. I do believe that education should not be just about workbooks and tests, it should be about love, openness, acceptance, and more hands on. Students should feel welcome and not singled out in a school set up. I want to be one of the educators in the future that does this as well. Lastly, I just want to share that all the experiences I have gained from my life before I immigrated and after I immigrated transformed and morphed me to the person I am today. I am looking forward in working with students from all ages and help them receive the best education in the best way I know how from all the experiences and knowledge that I will receive throughout my studying here in the University of Regina.