Overview of Assignment #1

I decided to dive deeper into the hidden curriculum with race/visual minorities. The article I chose to look at is called “Audism and Racism: The Hidden Curriculum Impacting Black d/Deaf College Students in the Classroom” by Lissa Stapleton. The author talks about how “Black and d/Deaf identities along with the range of oppressions connected to these identities is an example of how social identities come together at an axis and create a new combined identity and lived experience called intersectionality… It is critical to examine the intersectionality of Bd/Deaf students because it impacts educational success”.  Here the author conveys to the readers how intersectionality combines to create different modes of discrimination and privilege of Black and d/Deaf people’s political/social identities and that it impacts their educational studies and success.

I will write a critical summary using the main ideas and key concepts that are included in the main article I chose. The next step for this assignment is to find 2 other articles that have similar ideas/opinions about this topic. Digging into other authors’ perspectives to add more in-depth information to my topic and acknowledge what they are writing about in terms of my topic will help me generate a basic understanding that will build my paper.

One Reply to “Overview of Assignment #1”

1. Hi Yahya,
    Sounds like you have your mind made up on race and visible minorities, should be lots of information on this topic as I feel this is an area of high importance when talking about curriculum. I am curious as to how intersectionality and curriculum relate and what a postiive as well as negative relationship between the two looks like in the classroom.
    Goodluck on your paper and further research.