Critical Teaching Manifesto

As a future educator, it is my responsibility and role to lead students to academic success by providing accommodations and learning materials they need. Apart from learning, students should/need to respect and honor one another with different cultural backgrounds. “My philosophy of education is that all children are unique and must have a stimulating educational environment where they can grow physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially” (Cox, 2020). As a progressing teacher, it is essential for me to be able to recognize and teach diversity in the classroom, as this will allow students to roam freely without having to fear negative comments about their cultural background and their own beliefs. I believe that education is far more than just learning and teaching. 

Teachers should incorporate and promote inclusivity, diversity, and equity into their classrooms. Some pedagogies and learning theories that resonate with me include communication, problem-solving skills, collaboration, inquiry, experimental learning, etc. This will reassure students to interact and learn with each other. In chapter 2 of the book “Teach Like Yourself”, the author describes how teachers must use and describe their “Why’s” before creating plans and teaching as part of the core beliefs. She describes it is important to list the “Why’s” as it could help students develop self-confidence and experience within the school environment. My understanding of treaty responsibilities is to recognize truth and reconciliation and include its historical context in the curriculum. I am committed to acknowledging and recognizing the importance of Indigenous culture and perspectives in my teaching practices.