Hola, Coursera. My Journey to Spanish Fluency

Welcome my fellow bloggers. I hope everyone is finding great progress in their journey in whatever they may be learning. As mentioned in my previous post, I am finding it harder and harder to find a reliable online resource to help progress my Spanish. However, this week I stumbled upon a resource called “Coursera”.

Coursera logo

Coursera provides access to online courses from universities and institutions all around the world. Coursera provides courses for a variety of topics that one may want to learn, including 21 different languages. Typically, topics are taught by professors and experts in their respected fields. Obviously, I was there in my quest to learning more Spanish. The specific courses that I explored was taught by Dr. Robert Blake at the University of California, Davis.

Being on week 9 of my journey of learning Spanish, I feel like I am progressively learning more and more Spanish everyday. Because of this, I feel like I am also becoming pickier on the resources I use. Being able to identify what works and what doesn’t pretty quickly. Coursera offers both free and paid courses. While free courses are available, gaining access to graded assignments, certificates, and choice of specific areas often require the paid subscription. And as many of my fellow students are in the same boat as me, being a university student is EXPENSIVE! Which means, no thanks to the paid subscriptions. Another aspect I wasn’t crazy about was the lack of interaction Coursera had to offer. Some other resources I explore had a great variety of discussion forums and community features, allowing the user to get instant feedback from peers and feel a sense of community among other Spanish speaking people. Lastly, I found this resource difficult to stay self motivated. In my opinion. Completing online courses takes a great level of self-discipline and without having any strict deadlines or in-person classes, I found it difficult to stay on top of lectures and assignments.

Meme about being a broke university student.

Now, Coursera is not all bad. There are a few things I really like about the resource as well. First off, there was a wide range of course options available. This caters to all levels of Spanish speaking students, from beginner to experts. The other aspect that was very apparent, was the structure that was laid out for learners. It was clear that these courses are taught by professionals and experts from top universities and institutions, ensuring that there are high-quality instructions. While I did harp on Coursera in the paragraph above for not being very self-motivating, I did find a silver lining in that. It allowed the user to become more flexible while learning. I could access course material, assignments, and quizzes all at my own pace, allowing me to be learning at my own convenience.

Lady holding up a sign written in Spanish

Overall, I found Coursera to be a decent online resource. Signing up for the free trail, I could tell why so many users would be driven towards the site. If it wasn’t for the subscription, I would most likely explore Coursera in more depth. Thanks for reading friends!

Zach

Published by

nenson1z

My name is Zach Nenson.  I was born here in Regina, Saskatchewan.  I have lived here my hole life with majority of my family here who I am very close with.  I attended W.F. Ready Elementary School and Balfour Collegiate High School.  After high school I went on to University of Regina on a wrestling scholarship studying Kinesiology.  I ended up dropping out after a year and decided to enter the work force.  I started working as an electrician and obtained a journeyman ticket from Sask Polytechnic in Moose Jaw.  After working as an electrician for about five years I realized it was something that I did not want to do for the rest of my life.  It didn't give me the fulfilment I was looking for in a life long career.       I currently am working as an educational assistant for Regina Public Schools.  I have been doing this for about five years now.  This is the main reason why I decided to get into Education.  I found a real passion helping kids in the classroom.  The satisfaction I get while seeing the progress these kids make throughout the year not only as a student but as an individual is something I will never get sick of seeing.  Growing up with a mom who is an educator I've seen what a fun but challenging career like this can look like. In my spare time I enjoy spending it with family and friends.  I have played all kinds of sports my whole life so any type of exercise I enjoy.  The two sports I currently still play is soccer and golf.  When I have time I really enjoy traveling as well.  Right after high school I went to Thailand for three months where I didn't leave the beach.  A few years later I went backpacking through South America for about six months.  The memories and friends I met along the way are memories that I will never forget.  I loved learning different types of cultures and customs that other countries had to offer.  It has taught me many different life lessons as well as to be open minded while meeting people with different life styles than mine.