If I put a computer in the desert, does it enhance the desert?

Human impactObviously, dropping a computer into a space does not automatically enhance that space or make those in that space technologically proficient.

When I first considered the debate about whether or not technology enhances learning, my immediate response was, “Of course it does.” Technology is an amazing tool that can do amazing things in our classrooms. In my teaching practice, I have actively searched for ways to integrate technology into my teaching effectively. This has often included using hours of my own time to learn how to effectively use teaching tools and plan for effective implementation in my classroom. The readings for both sides of this debate share a common theme: more research is needed, as is more training and professional development for teachers implementing technology in the classroom. There is general agreement that simply putting devices in a classroom does not guarantee that students will use them effectively or appropriately. 

young blonde sad and depressed caucasian manager working in stress at office computer desk feeling overwhelmed and frustrated suffering headache and depression isolated over red background.

Unfortunately, teachers are tasked with overwhelming daily duties in today’s classrooms. Adding on expectations for teachers to spend their time exploring technology and becoming proficient in its use in the classroom becomes another daunting task on a plate that is already full.

Some teachers, like myself, enjoy using technology, exploring what it can do, and finding ways to bring it into our classrooms to enhance our teaching and students’ learning. However, this is not the case for all teachers. Just as our students have different levels of technological proficiency, so do our teachers. For some teachers, including technology comes very easily. Using technology is daunting for others, and they would prefer just to teach how they’ve always taught. After all, classrooms without technology were good enough for them as children, so why shouldn’t technology-free classrooms be good enough for today’s children? 

Digital community, smart homes and digital community. DX, Iot, digital network in society concept. suburban houses at night with data transactionsThe problem with this thinking is it does not align with teaching students to thrive in the society that we live in. The purpose of education is to teach students to be successful members of the society that the dominant groups have determined to be ideal. Some of us may remember the good old days before a screen was in our hands every minute of every day. Or disagree that today’s society is the ideal. However, the truth of our world is that there is technology everywhere our students go. It is deeply ingrained in our society, and students are expected to be proficient technology users. 

Undoubtedly, for us to develop the skills of our students so they may thrive in a technological world, teacher capability, pedagogy, and school curricula need to adapt to meet the demands of a technological world. Simply putting technology in a classroom does not enhance learning. However, spending time providing professional development for teachers and allowing teachers to collaborate and intentionally plan how technology can be used to enhance their teaching is an important investment for the future of our classrooms. The more proficient teachers are with technology in classrooms, the easier it becomes to use it to enhance student learning and build student capacity with technology.

4 Replies to “If I put a computer in the desert, does it enhance the desert?”

1. Carol Fisher says: Reply

You had me right at your title, Amy. So catchy! “Just as our students have different levels of technological proficiency, so do our teachers” this couldn’t be more true of teaching. We differentiate for students all the time, but teachers also need different methods of learning and even 1:1 support at times to learn new concepts and technology. My school started teaching us about UDL by actually using UDL in the workshop. I think that was the best learning I had done in years.

2. Aradhana Sapru says: Reply

An insightful summary. Thank you for all your comments. Since I was one of the debaters on Debate#1, appreciate it!! You have summarized them quite well!!

3. Savannah Pinfold says: Reply

“The purpose of education is to teach students to be successful members of the society that the dominant groups have determined to be ideal.” Nothing could be more true! I think that while some teachers may not like how tech-forward things have become in education, or parents for that matter, we simply cannot dismiss it. Technology is so integral to most societies, especially ours here in Canada, that to not teach tech literacy would be placing our students in a deficit right from the beginning. We need to keep up with the times so that our students are as best prepared as they can be to enter the world around them as adults.

4. Thank you for this thoughtful post! Your analogy of putting a computer in the desert perfectly captures the essence of the technology debate in education. It’s so true that simply having technology doesn’t automatically enhance learning; it requires intentional integration and proper training for teachers. Your insights on the necessity of professional development and collaboration among educators to effectively use technology resonate deeply. This balanced perspective is essential as we navigate the complexities of modern education. Keep sharing your valuable experiences and reflections!