Exploring New Things

This week I had a challenge, when it comes to new apps and tools, I really struggle. Trying iMovie was definitely a challenge, and I can say I do not know all that is to know about this tool.

To get into this thing… this is what iMovie looks like at the beginning:

Screencapture of iMovie starting point

You start by creating a movie, which takes you to all these different settings. You can upload photos and video clips, create transitions, add audio amongst many other things.

Showing the things you can add to iMovie

All the tools are up at the top of the page where you can select what you want to add next, which makes it easy for students to upload from their Macbooks. I will admit it took me awhile to be able to figure this out and put the backgrounds and music exactly where I wanted it but overall it isn’t a bad tool once you know what you are doing.

My learning project took a hit this week, as I still have not been able to figure out what to do with the straight line I have. However, I have been practicing and coutinuning to work on the skills I have now.

SAMR Model:

Subsitituion:

• Using this in my classroom for subsitituion purposes, I would create videos for my students to watch on topics, at any point in the year. Instead of letting them watch a youtube video they can watch the iMovie that I have made.

Augmentation:

• For using this for augmentation purposes, I would have my students create a video as a class with my help. We can begin to go through the steps and tools together for students to have a better understanding of the app. We can decide as a class what needs to go in the iMovie for a certain topic and incorparate everyones ideas.

Modification:

• For the purposes of modification, students can create their own videos with peers or by themsleves giving them a chance to use the tool and create their own visual and audio study guide on a topic. They can have it for the whole semester, so when it comes close to a test it can help with their studying on the topic.

Redefiniton:

• For the purposes of redefiniton, students will create their own videos by themselves or with peers and can gain feedback by uploading them into youtube (on teachers account) to gain more knowledge on the topic that we are discussing and share their knowledge around iMovie to the rest of the world.

One Reply to “Exploring New Things”

1. Very interesting how you incorporate the SAMR model into the learning project post! I liked that very much. It made me start thinking about the digital tool that I used and how I could incorporate the model for student learning. Thanks for the read 😊