tiktok made me do it…. post #10

tiktok made me do it…. post #10

woman, smartphone, communication
Photo by Saydung89 on Pixabay

I had to do it… TikTok was my last and final resource to check out for this learning project. I decided to look at this through

tiktok, tiktok logo, tiktok button
Photo by Sayyid96 on Pixabay

pure coincidence and really it was always right there. When I am avoiding homework or housework… work work.. I end up scrolling through the many quick rips online. It is a dark worm hole as we (most) all know. Instant satisfaction. Then , possibly due to everything I have been searching for in my browser, ASL videos started showing up on my FYP. So, naturally I started exploring! Nothing better than turning your procrastination into research!! Low and behold… I really liked this as a resource because you get to see a lot of different styles of people speaking ASL. Then they give real-time tips and tricks and it definitely feels more like talking to someone that the other apps have. The search engine on this app is simple (especially since most people already use it and know how to search) and everything you would be interested to learn is easily accessible.

Photo from TikTok

This creator Yourstruly_rebecca spoke about how she came to be an ASL speaker and it was super inspiring and had come at the perfect time as I was just thinking about how all this vocabulary practice has been well and good but I learned core French in school from k-12 and the one thing I think I had missed and why I am not a fluent speaker after 13 years of conjugating verbs… is I have never been able to be immersed in the French community. Yourtruly_rebecca highly suggests finding activities in your community where you can converse with ASL speakers in order to understand the language as well as the community. One thing I have learned this semester is that the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community are a very proud people (as they should be!) and their language is so much more than just simply talking with your hands. I am very excited to continue my journey with ASL after this semester as I feel it is something I am very passionate about and I cannot wait to see how my daycare kiddos as well as my “DAUGHTER” (I learned to sign that today from TikTok) will benefit from my rekindled interest in learning ASL.

The downside I could see from using TikTok is that people would just be passively watching instead of signing with the creators (guilty). Another being that as I learned earlier in this journey, words in ASL can be different from region to region so you might learn different signs for different regions. This isn’t the biggest downside as this can happen with any of the apps and resources I have currently found. As Michael from the skillsharing site said, even if you learn the wrong word for your region, you’ve still learned a word and it will be easy to fix once speaking with native ASL speakers. As well, he told us to embrace the mistakes, so we must at all times keep in mind that we will look silly at some point in our learning journey so just to stay humble and be open to criticism and learning the whole way through the experience!

3 thoughts on “tiktok made me do it…. post #10

1. Hi Amanda,

It’s so surprising how much we can learn from social media platforms. We always view things like TikTok and Instagram as an app to burn time on nothing overly important. However, as you identified, when you are actually looking for informational videos, it is available to you. I had a similar experience when I used Instagram as one of my online resources while learning Spanish. I hope you continue learning ASL after this semester and it opens a few doors for you in the future.

Zach

2. Hi Amanda,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on community! I feel the same way, I studied various languages for years and never developed the required fluency because of the lack of getting involved in a community!
    This semester has gotten me thinking a lot about the bystander effect, and how most people are passive scrollers, just like most people are bystanders. In order to create community, people actually have to get involved and active with things – whether that’s on social media or in real life.
    The idea of being in a local ASL community is interesting – those things like learning a regional word incorrectly would be quickly fixed.
    Great post, Amanda! I enjoyed reading it 🙂
    Kelsey

3. Hello Amanda,
    This is a fun resource to choose for you final post. For my last post I talked about a game that helps you learn ASL called PopSign. If you are planning to continue you journey after this course you might want to check it out!
    Karley