Day in The Life: Technology Makes Life Easier

July 16, 2024 3 By Bithy

My mother was so happy when I decided to study in Canada. It was my dream to pursue my higher education abroad. As days were approaching to my departure I was feeling heartbroken. When I would be able to touch or see my mom and entire family…..

My mom and me on a vacation.

My partner in crime and best critic.

My nephew Moses and he was 2 months old. I never felt tired around him

I was always a strong girl, but this was a new side of me that I never knew. One day I asked my mother, “Hey mom, how would you stay without me?” She surprised me with her answer. She was chilled and relaxed. She said to me, “Oh dear this is not a big deal. We have internet. I can call you in your messenger or whatsapp, whenever I want. I would be able to see you and talk to you. Even can leave voice message the way you taught me! One day I will come to visit you”. Her confidence made me strong and more focused.

Then I asked her, “What would you do in there for the whole day? I would be outside working and studying.” She again replied, “I would watch dramas, listen to the news and music in YouTube. It is not like you are here all the time home anyways.” I mentioned, “Mama, it would be too cold outside, what if something happens to you when I am not there?” She smiled and assured me, My love they must have the heating system and I can call to emergency service.” Like she has all the answer and planned for everything. Probably that is the strength of a mother. She sent me far away believing technology would always help us being together.

When I first landed here it was snowy and magical. As if I was in the land of Narnia.

First thing I had to learn and always made up my habit is checking weather forecast in weather network. Is it gonna be too cold, windy or do I need extra layers? This app really saved me throughout the winter. It is quite handy and also guides me take caution for the day.

Young woman with tablet computer using weather forecast application at home  World map with weather forecast app. Weather prediction data on monitor screen. Concept of meteorology. Created with Generative AI

The second most important thing I learnt is how to use Transit Live app. Before I go to any places like for grocery shopping, class or work, I make sure I know the exact time of departure and routes. It helps finding the right location for the bus stop as well. I have done a little research before I came here and found following video very useful as a newcomer.

I picked up a habit as I wake up from my bed, to check the notifications for emails, news, missed calls or voice messages. Sometimes I wonder when was the last time I slept without my phone on the nightstand. Like many transnational student I start my day with a video call to my home through either messenger or whatsapp. I have couple of accounts like outlook.com and gmail.com where I get my personal, official and academic emails.

In the morning I make my coffee and breakfast while I talk to my family. On some day I go for a walk. I wish I could go for everyday, but I am not quite health-conscious which I should be. Usually I use pedometer app to monitor my steps and my heart rates. It measures the approximate calorie expenditure while walking.

A flat lay photo showcasing a step counting app on a smartphone screen. Conceptual image illustrating healthy habits

I am not workaholic but I like being busy. My job requires a strong hold of Microsoft office skills such as word, spreadsheet etc. I am working in a clinic, where I need to register the patient, upload their files and fax the important documents. We use two different systems in the clinic. One is Accuro and another is Med-access. Doctors and staffs use this system for the patient’s prescription, consult report, referral, follow up etc.

I love being a student and I feel lucky that I got the opportunity to study in University of Regina. When I first saw our campus I instantly felt this is my place. In my first semester I was enrolled in both in-person and online class. Before I start the class, I got to learn that we need to register our class and check our academic records and schedule from UR Self-Service. Another important tool is UR Courses, where I can see my course syllabus, review assignments and instructions, rubrics for assignments, perform in quizzes, submit the reports etc. During the online course, for team presentation we make our video presentation in  PPT and YouTube. We also use Google drive to work simultaneously in multiple projects.  Kahoot is a fun tool which I have used this to make quizzes and mentimeter is also frequently used during the class presentation.

There is another useful tool zoom which I not only use for my online course but also to connect with my peers. I have been using zoom meetings since the covid pandemic to deliver the trainings to my trainees. During pandemic when I used to work from home on and off it helped all of our colleagues to communicate with each other and also to accomplish the official tasks.

Beside studying and doing job, I love to blow off my steam by hanging around with my friends and work out in the gym (not often). I can not go without watching a movie or an episode of series in the netflix and prime. I do not know whether it is a good or bad habit. But I just love spending my leisure like that. My favourite genre is crime, thriller, classic and comedy.  Sometimes I feel like I should make blogs for reviews for movies. I am happy that this course taught me how to write blogs.

I usually stay up late to talk with my families and have my dinner while chatting with them. I cook and they can watch me. Sometimes I feel we are not thousand miles apart, when we can see them laughing, talking and doing random staffs. The time difference is twelve hours between us. It is actually good in a way that when its dark here, they have their first meal of the day back there. I can join at the same time and have my last meal and say good night. I believe technology is infiltrated in our life and I can not name all of them. But I am thankful it makes my life easy, happy and grateful.