Hello, as you already know, my name is Brittany Silzer and I am currently enrolled in the Education Program, with a focus on Elementary Education at the University of Regina. I am a mother to three beautiful children ages 14, 7, and 5. We like to keep busy with sports and seasonal recreation activities. When I find time for myself outside of my regular duties and homework, I like to go to the gym. The gym is my happy place. I leave feeling like I can conquer the world. The gym has had many benefits for me, I am stronger and more confident in who I am. Going to the gym allows me to be the best version of me and in turn, I can give the best of me to my family and my future students.

I have 11 years of experience working at the YMCA childcare centre in Moose Jaw, with 7 of those years spent in a director role. During my time working for the YMCA I took part time classes at Saskpolytech and achieved my Diploma with distinctions in Early Childhood Education. While working at the YMCA I helped to implement the “Playing to Learn” curriculum which was teaching the children in all of their developmental areas based on their current interest. This curriculum was implemented with the use of program plans, daily observations, written documentations of learning, as well as daily and weekly journals and newsletters for the parents to follow their childs daily learning. I have seen first hand the benefits of being a flexible educator and how beneficial hands on experiences are for gaining a better understanding.

During my time as an educator at the YMCA, I always felt great joy in teaching the children new things. Having the rewarding opportunity to expose these children to new learning experiences left me feeling like I am making a difference in the world. In my role as a teacher, I plan to make a difference by creating welcoming and inclusive environments, strong child-teacher relationships, and many meaningful experinces. I have lots of past experience with program flexibilty and hands-on invitations for learning that I would like to integrate into the curriculum. I have always said, “Children are our future, who wouldnt want to help build the future!” I plan to continue this mindset of always being the helping hand in the education of our future students. I look forward to my educational journey and the many take aways that I will bring with me in my future career as a teacher.