Tell me and I forget, Teach me and I remember, Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin

Future Classroom in a Changing World

When I think back to my experience with technology in school, the resources available were the computers in the computer lab. It was always an exciting day when we got to go to computer class! On these computers, we learned how to type with a program called, “All The Right Type“.  Is learning to type still taught in school I wonder? We also engaged in a game known as Treasure Mountain (see video below), which presented word problems as challenges. The game incorporated various word problems, including mathematical operations like addition and subtraction, as well as questions on nature, planets, rhymes, comparing, and sequencing. Each time we used these, we were required to load the game from a CD-ROM into the computer to play.

Fast forward to todays technology and many classrooms have easy access to technology in their classes such as IPads, Chromebooks, etc., These types of technology no longer require you to insert a disc as they have “apps” and programs readily availble on them to use. Teachers today utilize more technology to conduct their classes. Reflecting on the current technological integration in classrooms, I realize there is much for me to learn about SMART boards and the various interactive educational platforms in use, such as Kahoot, Flipgrid, Google Classroom, and others.

The video “An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube” by Michael Wesch,  highlighted how the web connected people in unexpected ways through blogs, videos, and tagging. At first, this was an incredible development. However, observing today’s classrooms, it seems that our face-to-face social connections have slightly faded due to the overuse of technology. Students are often observed engaging with their technology devices during recess or break times instead of interacting and conversing with their peers. Thus, we are more connected digitally, and there is a decline in our want or ability to communicate without technological means. The constant availability of technology seems to have created a digital dependency.

Lastly, there’s the shift towards adopting AI tools. Conversations with teachers reveal they find these tools useful for creating lesson and unit plans, and some even use them for reporting comments. Yet, there’s a differing opinion on allowing students to use AI tools for their assignments. It will be interesting to observe how this evolves and whether AI tools will eventually be permitted for all student use in classrooms.

1 Comment

1. Brayden Lovas

Hey Brittany Great blog post! Your reflections on technology’s impact in education are insightful and thoughtfully presented. Looking forward to reading more about your experiences and insights as you continue to explore and integrate these technologies into your teaching journey.