Tell me and I forget, Teach me and I remember, Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin

How Many Cricut Vinyl Products Are There?

The main reason I purchased my Cricut machine was to design t-shirts. After purchasing the Cricut, I also bought a heat press, knowing it was essential for transferring designs onto the fabric. With all the supplies I thought necessary, I began watching YouTube  and TikTok tutorials to learn the process. The tutorials frequently mentioned using iron-on or HTV vinyl, which stands for heat transfer vinyl. However, when I examined the vinyl that came with my Cricut, I found premium vinyl only. Realizing this, it seemed I needed to shop for the right materials. At Walmart, I noticed the iron on vinyl was pretty expensive for the amount of product you got in a roll. Since Walmart is the sole retailer of vinyl where I live, I opted to compare prices with Amazon.ca‘s offerings. To my surprise, I discovered more favorable deals online and proceeded to buy a package that included both black and white HTV vinyl. Pictured below is the product I purchased. The vinyl is scheduled to arrive at my doorstep June 13, 2024.

The variety of vinyl options at Walmart, including removable, iron-on, smart transfer, permanent, and infusible ink, etc.,  was quite overwhelming. I wondered about the uses for all these vinyls.  It seemed I would need to conduct some additional research to understand the differences. According to the cricut website, there are 213 results for vinyl materials! I decided to do a quick Google search to learn about each type of vinyl and discovered an article that details everything one needs to know about every kind of vinyl. I also came across these two cheat sheets that I find will be helpful for my future projects.

As I wait for the transfer vinyl to arrive, I will begin learning about the heat press and pick a design to use. Keep an eye out for my upcoming post where I’ll delve into making my first shirt.

1. Bridget Maloney

Hi Brittany! I enjoyed reading your post. Working with vinyl to make t-shirts is so much fun, and has so many possibilities. My first job was at a store that made custom clothing using vinyl and a heat press. It was such a cool opportunity. I found your post really interesting because I too did not know that there are 213 different types of vinyl! I wonder what they could all be used for, and if your Cricut will serve many more purposes for you than making t-shirts. Best of luck with your project when your vinyl arrives, I am looking forward to seeing your final product!

2. Brayden Lovas

Hello Brittany. It’s great to see you diving into the world of Cricut and heat press! Understanding the differences between premium vinyl and heat transfer vinyl HTV is crucial for achieving the best results in your projects. YouTube and TikTok tutorials are excellent resources for learning the ropes. It’s smart that you compared prices between Walmart and Amazon.ca for your vinyl supplies. Finding deals online can save a lot, especially when starting out with a new hobby like designing t shirts. The package with black and white HTV vinyl sounds perfect for getting started.