Debate #1: Technology in the Classroom Enhances Learning

With the start of our class debates, we are beginning to take a closer look at some of the issues that have been long debated in schools and classrooms. Our first debate looked at whether or not the use of technology in classrooms enhances learning, and I will admit right now, I was on the agree side from the start. I don’t think it’s a blanket statement – we can’t afford to be naive enough to believe any of these are clear-cut issues. But for this particular issue, I believe the benefits outweigh the issues.

Will and Mike had a very entertaining opening, and I loved the gimmicky flair, if only because we need to remember that that’s the truth we have to keep in mind as we are incorporating technology into our classrooms.

I myself haven’t used a number of the “greatest hits” that Will and Mike discussed, but I have used quite a few. I can’t say they were all by choice – the division pushes certain sites on us, whether we want to switch things up or not – but having technology, whether it be laptops, Chromebooks, ipads, or the projector I use almost daily, are invaluable tools when properly utilized. When properly utilized being the key statement. We can’t just drop laptops in front of our students and expect that, magically, their learning has been enhanced! The article Class, Take Out Your Tablets: The Impact of Technology on Learning and Teaching in Canada takes a realistic look at integrating technology into Canadian schools. They clearly state that “technology has mixed impact on education, with the potential for distraction if not used and implemented properly at school” (Ivus et al., 2020, p.10).

So what does that bring us to? How DO you effectively and properly implement this for maximum impact? And I think that’s where we’re getting tripped up. A lot of teachers don’t have formal training when it comes to integrating technology, or instructing on the proper usage of different apps or software. It’s very much been a learn-as-you-go addition to our classrooms. Meeting the outcomes? Yeah, we talk about that. Ad nauseam. Different styles and methods of teaching? Absolutely. We covered that in depth, multiple times. But I can honestly say not one of my classes looked at how to efficiently and effectively use or teach about technology. So it makes sense why so many people struggle with it, and why there is so much negativity around how it isn’t being used wisely.

Is that to say that Catrina and Janeen didn’t make some very valid points? Absolutely not. And some of their “characters” were spot on in their portrayals. One of the articles that they used to support their position, Why Technology Hasn’t Boosted Learning – And How It Could, talks about the importance of using technology in a meaningful way. Not to “replicating existing ineffectual approaches” but using it to support proven best practices (Wexler, 2021).

But even though I applaud Catrina and Janeen, and agreed with a number of their points, I remain firmly on the side of technology. I really do believe that thoughtful inclusion of technology can do amazing things for teaching and learning.