EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Icing My Way Into a New Hobby

While choosing a learning project I had many ideas that I was interested in exploring. The one that I decided I wanted to take the time to learn was decorating sugar cookies. I enjoy baking but I have never been able to do more than spread icing onto cookies with a butter knife. I have created a list of things that I need to complete if I want to accomplish my overall goal of wanting to decorate a sugar cookie nicely;

1. I need to begin by baking the sugar cookies, an easy-to-follow sugar cookie recipe is the way I will be doing that! I will need to cut the cookies out into shapes that I can use to decorate for the next five weeks!
  2. I will need to learn to make icing that can be used for decorating and have an understanding of the different consistencies of icing and what they will be used for. I will be making a royal icing.
  3. After I bake the cookies and begin to play with the different icing consistencies I will be ready to begin to decorate the cookies. I will begin by doing basic types of icing such as flooding and starting to work on my lettering. From there I will put all the skills together to begin to create beautifully decorated cookies!

Overall Goal of My Learning Project

My overall goal for my learning project is to have an understanding of the art of decorating a sugar cookie at a skillful level, and able to produce a nicely decorated cookie. I also want to have an understanding of how the different consistencies of icing are used for different parts of cookie decorating.

This Weeks Accomplishments 

This week I was able to bake all my sugar cookies that I will be needing. I will be putting them in the freezer and pulling them out as I need to decorate my cookies! The other thing that I did this week was begin to look at different recipes for royal icing. Being from a small town I did not have access to meringue powered which is needed in the cookies. This week I also made a trip to Regina to pick up all of the decorating tools and ingredients that I need.

Goals for Next Week

Next week I plan to do a few things to work towards my end goal. To begin I plan to make icings of different consistencies to gain a feel for them. Starting now will give me a lot of time to practice!