EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Making The Icing

Before I started to decorate cookies I thought that hardest thing about this process was the going to be decorating the cookies and not making the icing, but, I was wrong. Making the icing posed many challenges, getting the royal icing to become the right consistency was very hard for me.

The recipe that I used for the Royal Icing was Sally’s Favourite Royal Icing. I found that this recipe was very good at giving good instructions and step by step to follow.

To make this icing I went to Micheals and picked up a few supplies that I needed. The first thing that I was required to pick up was meringue power, which is used in the icing. The other item that I picked up was gel food colouring. Both of these items were required to begin my icing making.

I had many attempts at my icing with beating it for more time, less time, adding more meringue power and icing sugar. After some trial and error I came up with the consistencies that I could make work.

The first picture is the consistency of the outlining of a cookie, this is a bit thicker allowing it to hold its shape while it dries in place. You can see this in the icing dropping off the whisk slowly. The second picture is the consistency of the icing for flooding, flooding is filling the inside of your lines on the cookie with a solid colour. This can be seen by the icing running off the fork faster.

This icing can be put into the freezer so I am able to decorate my cookies with it for next week!

Goals for Next Week

Next week it is my goal to outline cookies and be able to flood them. I have a very shaky hand so I feel this is something that I may possibly struggle with and will need a lot of practice to complete.