Final Learning Project: Can I Doodle or Draw?

Appologies, I posted this without words by accident, this is a draft, sorry again

For this last post, I enjoyed going back and looking at my old posts and drawings. It was weird looking at old sketches and seeing the path I took in an attempt to practice and learn drawing, so I compiled a small group of sketches that I had displayed in previous weeks (Sorry no ‘director’s cut’ where I display more of my old sketches, I wasn’t confident enough to post them then, and am not confident enough to post them now).

loading slideshow...

Looking back on my journey, I chose to learn to draw because my younger brother got into drawing (not attempting animation) and I wanted to share in his hobby. This led me to trying to explore the internet in search of where to start. This landed me on YouTube, an amazing resource I used throughout my entire journey as there are thousands of artists who want to share tips and tricks.

However, no matter how great YouTube was I found it very hard to find a nice comprehensible beginners guide to drawing as a whole. After lots of searching I found some I liked, but it was searching for other tools that led me to drawabox.com. This resource was so amazing in helping me get my drawing practice off the ground as it had very dense lesson plans (for free I might add). I still believe this website is great for anyone who wants to get into sketching real life and perspectives.

For a few weeks I stuck with drawabox and Youtube, but found myself getting bored of drawing simple shapes, and shapes, and shapes, and shapes… So for my mental sanity in practicing drawing, mixed with a desire to present a variety of sources and drawings on my future learning project posts, I started to dabble with drawing the human head. This is where I stayed for the rest of my drawing practice (except for the last two weeks) as I soon learned that the head was a lot harder than I thought it would be to draw. It was during these weeks I started exploring Pinterest and other social medias to gain art references to use in practice.

Resources I Enjoyed

Youtube: Excal’s Art Tips (namely the YouTube Shorts), Chommang_Drawing, Draw Like a Sir, AKIHITO YOSHITO, and any videos on Kim Jung Gi (great artist and fascinating to try to see how he drew)

Pinterest (art reference), Drawabox.com (great for beginners), JustSketchMe (3D customizable models)

And lastly: Sketchbook (Android Drawing App), which I used a LOT during my drawing practice as I carried my Tablet to school often. Through ProCreate is also great.

Would I Do Anything Different Next Time?

Yes, there is a lot I would do differently if I was to do this project a second time. First: I would stick with the basics for a LOT longer. As I progressed more and more, I began to realize me rushing ahead because I was bored of the basics was costing me. This became apparent when trying to draw head shapes, eyes, ears, and definitely was affecting my ability to draw poses with accurate proportions. However, by looking ahead and attempting these things I now realize why the basics are important so if I continue on my drawing journey I definitely will spend more time grinding the basics of shapes and perspectives first.

What did I takeaway from this Experience?

This experience has shown me just how many educational resources can be found online, and how social media and the like can be used both for fun videos and education. It amazes me how much a person can learn about just through the internet. Reading other’s blog posts just reinforced how much information we have access to in my mind

So… what about a last drawing?

Before I started working on this final post, I still had a goal I wanted to accomplish for my last week. I wanted to try to combine everything I practiced into a single drawing. I wanted to have simple shapes, decently proportioned faces, poses, and perspective in a drawing. For this I attempted to draw two people sitting/leaning in a window looking outside.

After a Lot of work I got the following image. There’s a lot I can improve on, I think I got the poses down, however somewhere along the way the guy’s head shrank. and the eyes were ever frustrating. I also made the mistake of starting the drawing smaller, so any detailing has hard to fit in. In the future I will draw larger if I attempt this again.