Facial Feature Fever

Continuing with my practice last week, I found a problem with my current method was that I didn’t know where to place certain facial features, and as the video I learned from was silent there was no explanation to why it was being drawn as it was. For this reason I searched for another guide and found How to draw a face in an easy way / Drawing tutorial by channel Chommang_drawing. While he is speaking in a different language, the closed captions on the video translate to English. From watching this video I followed his basic templates which I found were quite similar to last week’s but with a few differences, namely for the eyes. What I appreciated was he described what the lines were for, and what parts of the face fit into which sections. Using this guide I created a few sample heads including the following front profile, and side profile:

From creating these images I noticed that when transferring my art from the sketch stage to the line art stage the drawing often felt like it was getting flatter and looked worse (to me at least). Though my ability to draw a proper face is not quite where I want it to be, I am glad that I have gained the ability to create a template from memory without a reference while understanding where each facial feature fits.. Continuing from the base template I had been using, Chommang_drawing created the video How to draw face for beginners (free template) Easy way to practice 🙂 Which includes a template of a face that gives more leeway based on varying art styles such as larger eyes.

Things I was working on near the end of the week (mostly research), and what I will be working on throughout next week is focusing on drawing nice hair and eyes. I feel that a the issues I have of creating a more ‘flat’ looking face can be solved through practice and adding more details. Thankfully the videos from last week and this week have examples on drawing hair on the heads, but I will also look for more specific examples while continuing to refine the basic head shapes. Based on my experience this week however, I fell progress will drastically slow down from here on out.