Designing a Classroom

October 10, 2023 0 By Sam Froude

Philosophy

This classroom represents my anti-bias education as I will be “respecting and embracing differences and acting against bias and unfairness” (ABE Introduction PowerPoint). This classroom also represents my philosophy as an educator through many aspects. I believe play is an essential part of development for every child as the “play offers numerous benefits impacting the physical, emotional, mental, social, cultural, and spiritual development and well-being of the child.” (Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 40). Each student will bring in their own “experiences, feelings, and relationships into school” (Malaguzzi, 1994, p. 1), which is critical as “children form their cultural identity and expand their cultural awareness” (Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 40). Society is suffering a considerable decline in play, in both schools and homes, “mainly due to cultural trends and parental and political pressures” (Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 37). Many parents or caregivers turn to electronics when something is not working out or does not have any time. It is proven that “when children do encounter unscheduled time, they often turn to electronic entertainment rather than natural play” (Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 40). Educators must continue to introduce practices in which meaningful experiences are included. When educators include self-directed play in their teaching methods, it produces educators to develop a constructivist approach that allows the students to “explore, think for themselves, and develop the whole self in an enjoyable way” (Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 41). Almon mentioned that children spend close to “five hours per day in front of video or computer screens” (Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 39), which is “generally passive … close-ended … unimaginative … and lacking in opportunities for language development and social interaction” in which all are crucial for a child’s early development and understanding of the world (Almon & Schwarzmueller & Rinaldo, 2013, p. 39). Bruner expands on Vygotsky’s idea stating that “children learn about social behaviours, cultural practices, and ways of communicating with others” (Axelrod, 2014, p. 25) through play. Children continuously communicate with one another, expanding on many of their ideas and ideas presented by other children. This allows other children to learn about various cultures, emotions, behaviours through other children that every human will experience. This is extremely necessary for children to share as it allows them to understand their thoughts, feelings and experiences and control them. Play is also very beneficial to the educator alongside the children as it helps to get to know the children. However, it also helps the educator create lessons and ideas for children to engage in as it would be similar to their interests. The classroom I have made was inspired by The Reggio Emilia approach for grade one students. This classroom values the students and is a safe place for all children to come to daily. The child’s image is the capable and component child in which “the child has specific rights and is a full participant in society,” as stated in the week three Image of a Child PowerPoint. Every child is unique and brings a part of something that’s different into the school” (Malaguzzi, 1994, p. 2), in which we have to acknowledge. I chose to take the Reggio Emilia “home-like and beautiful” (environments PowerPoint, p. 37) approach for a classroom theme as it “allows children to do, wonder, question, and experience and create connections between home and the school,” as stated in the week four overview for Environments for Experiential Learning. Also mentioned in the week four overview for Environments for Experiential Learning, “environments for learning are critical because they communicate messages to children about their own competencies, identities, values, and experiences; telling them if they are welcome in the space and what they can do there”. I have organized this classroom so children are welcome to work in groups, or alone away from others. This is because “working and playing together in groups, children learn to appreciate not only their own ideas and way of doing things, but also each other’s” (Drew & Rankin, 2004, p. 41). Many of my educators growing up did not have inclusive, welcoming classrooms; rather, the classrooms had desks in rows, and most of our classwork was spent alone. This is something I do not believe in as an educator as I believe that “rich, stimulating experiences provided in a safe, responsive environment create the best conditions for optimal brain development” (Drew & Rankin, 2004, P. 40). Every child’s learning differs from the other children’s learning in the classroom; therefore, it is important to educate many lessons through various methods. I like to create many opportunities for my students to get involved with the material by working with groups and using their hands to “extend and deepen their understandings through multiple, hands-on experiences with diverse materials” (Drew & Rankin, 2004, p. 40). All students in my classroom will “get equal opportunities to speak” (Derman-Sparks & Edward, 2010, p. 98), as everyone deserves to  be treated fair. 

My role envisioned in this classroom:

As a future educator, I strive to become engaged with my students during learning and play. Educators need to “flow with the thoughts of the children,” “be open,” “change ideas” (Malaguzzi, 1994, p. 2), and become comfortable with the unknown as plans can change reasonably quickly without notice and what occurs outside in the students lives, or the educator’s lives will impact what occurs inside the classroom. The educator must create a relationship not only with the students but with the parents as well. This is important because “children and adults need to feel active and important” (Malaguzzi, 1994, p. 2). I aim to be engaged alongside learning with my student as “Children learn a lot from other children, and adults learn from children being with children” (Malaguzzi, 1994, p. 4). Children are a vital aspect when educating as “children’s questions, comments, and behaviours are a vital source of anti-bias curriculum. They spark teachable moments as well as longer-term projects” (Anti-Bias Education text, p. 54). “A classroom environment rich in anti-bias curriculum and materials invites exploration and discovery and supports children’s play and conversations in both children- and teacher-initiated activities” (Anti-Bias Education text, p. 52). I will also be an educator that “observes and listens to the children” (Saskatchewan Ministry of Education, 2009, p. 9) closely not only as a role model but as a learner as well. Furthermore, I will become a “researcher studying those children” (Massey, 2017, p. 9) within my classroom. As an educator, we have multiple active roles we have to constantly fill throughout the day, which actively includes an educator to “design curriculum around that curiosity” (Massey, 2017, p. 9). A crucial step for educators to take is to “find or rediscover our voice and our ability to express the importance of play and developmentally appropriate practice” (Wood, 2014, p. 52). Depending on my schools’ perspectives and knowledge, play may not be recommended when educating. However, if I were to find myself in that particular situation, I would consider discussing the benefits of play with administration. I will “facilitate and guide play, exploration and discovery,” “promote the holistic nature of children’s learning in an environment that stimulates exploration, curiosity and interactions with others,” “encourage children’s independence, responsibility and participation in the learning environment, with the family and in the community” (Saskatchewan Ministry of Education, 2009, p. 1). I will also strive to be an inclusive educator, making my classroom welcome for all children regardless of their abilities and disabilities. Every child has a right to a good education and to feel supported, safe and welcome in their given environment. In the Anti-Bias Education textbook, it says that “the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) has required that all children with disabilities receive appropriate education in the ‘least restrictive environment-that, they must have the opportunity to be included in regular (rather than special education) classrooms to the greatest extent possible” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 125), in which means my classroom will be assessable and available to students on an on-going basis. I will assist all students as a whole and individually in the classroom while also working with the children in groups. This will ensure I understand what the students are obtaining, what the next lesson could be based on student interests, and how to improve lessons. 

Overview description of elements of the classroom environment

I chose to draw my ideal classroom as I felt it best represented how I wanted my classroom to turn out. As stated in the Overview of Environments for Experiential Learning, past classrooms expose overpowering “cluttered walls” and “bright colours,” which “can create a sensory overload for children, particularly for those with specific exceptionalities.” As stated above, I want to have a welcoming and comfortable environment for all of my students; therefore, I chose to go with the Reggio Emilia approach with my classroom. I went down the “aesthetic” look for my classroom, feeling “more like a home than an institution with neutral colours, natural wood furnishing and materials, natural and soft lighting, and beautiful materials” (overview for Environments for Experiential Learning). This environment is highly beneficial for the students as it allows them to create connections between their “home and the school” (overview for Environments for Experiential Learning). It also invites the students to “preserve and take care of a beautiful space and materials” (overview for Environments for Experiential Learning), learning responsibility and respect towards their environments. I value incorporating windows and mirrors within my classroom as it shows students to “see the worlds, values, and experiences of others reflected in the environment and materials, while mirrors let them see themselves and their families” (overview for Environments for Experiential Learning), which assist with learning about themselves, other students surrounding them while composing questions. Within my classroom, all students are “competent” and can “direct their own learning” (overview for Environments for Experiential Learning) through open access to the different spaces and materials presented within the classroom. Open access is essential in classrooms as “Children have active bodies and a desire for adventure; they have the right to show us how powerful and competent they are” (Curtis & Carter, 2005, p. 35). My students’ work will be presented throughout my classroom on the bulletin boards, outside of students’ lockers, and boot room to bring colours into my classroom. I will provide multiple sources of “documentation with diagrams, instructions, or photos of children’s previous work in this area” (Curtis, 2004, p. 38), so other students can become more educated and become inspired. Through using bulletin board in all rooms to assist children with knowing “value-laden attributes and beliefs about themselves and others” (Derman-Sparks & Edward, 2010, p. 102). Children Obtain these messages about beliefs through “messages about economic class directly and indirectly” (Derman-Sparks & Edward, 2010, p. 102). I have various sizes in areas as not all areas needed a vast amount of space. This is beneficial for when bigger groups or building projects arise” (Curtis & Carter, 2005, p. 36). I have included many different centers within my classroom with many centers available for privacy or needed time alone; “Private places for getting away are significant for children in full-day programs” (Kritchevsky & Prescott, 1969, Curtis & Carter, 2005, p. 37), since they are surrounded by many people, experiencing many emotions and situations. This can be overwhelming for some students, especially those who may just be starting to transition to school full-time. The majority of objects and materials are moveable, such as the beanbag chairs, chairs at the tables (rolling chairs, balls); therefore, it is accessible to all students. There are many “meaningful” (Shelton, 2020, para. 6) and relative objects present in this classroom, allowing students to explore materials in a different way and environment and be able to relate and connect to the object and guide their learning through the process. As Hubbard states, “creativity is best nurtured in an environment that has a great deal of structure and at the same time freedom” (Hubbard, 1998, p. 27). I hope to encourage my students’ minds to expand and wonder, therefore I have included a wide variety of a “balance of natural, commercial, simple/complex and authentic items” (Time, Space, Materials Considerations powerpoint, p. 16).

Description of different spaces/ areas and the materials within the room

Storage:

Storage is critical in a classroom for the student’s learning abilities. Throughout my classroom will be natural, wood, and aesthetic storage units that will be present at the students’ eye level. This is because children will take advantage of the classroom items if they are made available to students. I also hope to have storage units open so students can see their peers in surrounding centers, materials in surrounding centers and be aware of their surroundings. I aim to do this to keep the children engaged with most of the items and be engaged with the peers in their classroom. As said above, students learn best when working with one another and expressing their ideas. These storage units will also guide the separation between the different spaces in the classroom. All storage units will be placed apart one another or placed in a way in which the child is visible to the educator and other students. Students should feel welcome in all the spaces, and all the spaces should be inviting. Having the spaces open and separated by the storage units allows students to feel more invited and excited to switch centers. Colour will be present throughout the room through the students’ creations. This allows visitors, parents, and students that enter the classroom to see everything the students have done. Students will choose what pieces they would like to present around the room; it is the student’s choice. 

Reading/ Calm Nook: 

This area of my classroom would be used for quiet activities or as one of the “private places for getting away” (Kritchevsky & Prescott, 1969, Curtis & Carter, 2005, p. 37). Included are bean bag chairs, a rocking chair, a couch that can seat multiple children at once, and a carpet. Having moveable furnishings is crucial when having an inclusive classroom as not all children are comfortable just sitting in a hard chair all day. As stated in the Time, Space, Materials Considerations powerpoint spaces should be “uncluttered” and “allow children to focus on materials” (p. 16), in which this space does, as well all the rest of the spaces within this classroom. This center would be decorated as a natural forest to represent the feeling of being calm and relaxing. Many artificial vines surround this center, with a string of tiny white lights strung around this center for an aesthetic physical appearance to this theme. It is essential to bring natural materials into the classroom as “natural materials bring the outdoors into the classroom” (Overview of Environments for Experiential Learning). Students can take this advantage when reading, needing a break, brainstorming ideas, and many other activities that require concentration and quiet voices. Due to my future classroom situated on Treaty 4 Land, I have included a physical representation of a teepee to be “inclusive of cultures” (overview for Environments for Experiential Learning) and educate students about the lands we reside on. This center will include many books of students’ interests, different seating (bean bags, couch, rocking chair, mats on carpet), and appealing decor (pillows, quotes framed, miniature lights, curtains). Baskets filled with calming tools (student-made sensory bottles, fidget spinners) will be provided around the reading nook as well.

Dramatic Play Center:

Along with the other centers, this center can be changed and moved around to best suit student’s interests and ideas. There is a multilevel structure in this center to enforce the students’ play and have many different types of play involved. A bookshelf is present for storage or materials of the student’s interests and current classroom topics. There is a rack for dress-up clothes (hats, clothing, shoes, glasses) and a puppet show box. It is important for the child’s purpose for the educator to “support the children’s play, whether they are acting out their own experience with family roles or exploring other kinds of family structures” ((Derman-Sparks & Edward, 2010, p. 115). Children will learn more about our diverse, changing world if we allow and  assist them in the process. This also assists students with learning diverse roles in different cultures, including their traditions and other ways of life. As a teacher, it is crucial to be a role model to your students, meaning setting an example and enforcing the change that needs to happen in the world; creating materials students can use from recycled materials allows students to recycle and enjoy matter. The Material for Experiential Learning overview says that dramatic play centers “stocked with costumes that suggest very particular possibilities” that are crucial in society. This puppy show box is made out of a cardboard box decorated by the students in the classroom. Lesson ideas could include making puppets of inspiration or self, then creating a story to assist the students with learning about identities and fairness. Creating a puppet experience for students will “introduce children to very basic scientific explanations for variations in skin colour, hair texture, and eye shape” (Derman-Sparks & Edward, 2010, p. 85). I have also included a bulletin board in this center to present images to children of the topic of interest (community workers, family members, diverse people). A square carpet is present in this space so students can have a peaceful space to sit or play on. This carpet could also be used when “bigger groups or building projects arise” (Curtis & Carter, 2005, p. 36). A small table is included to need a hard surface or work in a small group. It is essential to wash all dress-up clothing weekly as multiple students will be wearing them throughout the week. There will be many materials in this center that consist of hard and soft feelings, various colours, and different shapes and sizes. Through dramatic play experiences, children can experience different aspects of the various cultures and languages (Axelrod, 2014).

Music Center:

I debated whether or not to include a music room in my classroom, but it is vital to include musical aspects in your classroom and do musical lessons. The instruments in the music center will be stored on open shelves for students to see. There will also be a music player with various child-friendly CDs that students can choose to play. By having this option available for the children, they can make their own choices and be non-dependent. I included a keyboard in my outline as inspiration from a past employer at an early learning center. Books will be presented on a bookshelf relating to musical instruments, songs, musical notes, and other topics to deal with music which can be educational. A circular carpet is included for extensive group work. The circle serves as a purpose to visually see one another and see what each other is doing. This benefits students as students learn well by watching and doing with their surrounding peers.

Block Center: 

This center can be very transformable as it does not have to be a block center. It could be a space for when guests come, a student needs to be alone, or for one-on-one communication purposes without leaving the classroom or distracting the class. Students learn to become problem solvers, and blocks are an important way to include STEM activities. Blocks help students develop gross and fine motor skills. Shelves will hold wooden bins of various blocks that are of different shapes and sizes. Before students arrive, the educator could create an invitation for students to be welcome to come and expand or build on what has already been done. “Loose parts possess infinite play possibilities.” They can be ”combined with other materials” (Daly & Beloglovsky, 2014, p. 15), which is beneficial to children as children like to incorporate and play with multiple objects at once.

Art Center: 

My art center will have various loose parts throughout for children to take advantage of in their artwork. Materials will be neatly stored inside see-through jars on open shelves. This could include but is not limited to leaves, rocks, pinecones, pen lids, bottle caps, sponges, string, buttons and continuing. Other supplies will be available to students, such as paintbrushes, pencils, clay, pastels, markers, and a long list of other materials. Students would have access to canvass, easels, and an endless supply of materials to contribute to their art within this art center. There will be multiple places for children to sit, especially if the whole class were to be in the room together. Capes will be used pending on the activity done, which can be brought from home or bought from a thrift store). Students will be expected to clean up after themselves after every activity, including wiping their spot and chair down. There will be a wall with the students’ work framed and displayed as a gallery for parents and other students to see. 

Big Space (big carpet): 

This area is designed for class discussions or lessons that require much space. This space includes a smartboard for a teacher to use. Students can grab individual carpets or small sitting balls to sit in this area. Students may also take advantage of the tables behind the carpet if needed. This spot would be used chiefly for attendance, morning activities, and closing activities for the students but will be available all day for the students. The carpet in this space and the other spaces will be flat enough for all students to be able to access the carpet. This is important to me as I want all of my students to be engaged with our class and work daily without feeling left out. This space will also hold students’ important work or ongoing assignments. These will be organized by subject and names for easy access to the students.

Indoor Entrance: 

This area runs from the doorway onto a carpet through a hall-like space. This space is designed specifically for students when they are coming in or leaving the classroom. There is an outdoor-like long mat placed in this space to attract the dirt, mud and everything else that may come off of the students’ shoes after coming inside. Student cubbies are also designed to be in this space, so it is convenient for the student to take off and put on their thing. Students could have a picture of their family on their cubby, as well as a mirror inside their cubby. There is a sink near the entrance for all students, educators, parents, and visitors to wash their hands before participating. This would be ideal for a classroom, especially now, due to covid-19 and messes being present. 

Sensory Center: 

Sensory objects in your classroom are essential, especially to the students who use sensory objects to assist them with calming down or taking a break. Sensory materials can change based on the common interest on the topic of the class. Examples of what could go into these sensory tables are sand, slime, shaving cream with sparkles and many more endless possibilities. A water table is also included in this center as another sensory table. Giving students loose parts and allowing them to combine them with sensory tables creates endless opportunities for them. This way, students may guide their learning as the educator comes by and encourages or expands on their learning. 

Tables & Seating:

I have included round, rectangular and square tables for students to work at throughout my design of this classroom. Having different shapes and sizes makes each space unique and fits every individual student’s creative desire and comfortability. It is essential to think about all students when designing a classroom, which I have done. As stated throughout, seating for children will vary. There will be many seating options in which children can choose which one will best help them concentrate and learn. I do not believe in a seating plan as I did not enjoy them growing up. Students will choose to sit where they would like, but in the classroom layout that is present when they walk in. If there are complications, students will be given a warning then potentially moved if causing recurrence.  

References:

Gretchen Schwarzmueller & Vincent Rinaldo (2013) The importance of self-directed play,  Kappa Delta Pi Record, 49(1), 37-41.

Malaguzzi, L. (1994). Your image of the child: Where teaching begins. Exchange, 3, 1-5. https://www.reggioalliance.org/downloads/malaguzzi:ccie:1994.pdf

UNESCO. (2010) What is your image of the child? UNESCO Policy Brief on Early Childhood, 47, 1-2. https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000187140 

Axelrod, Y. (2014). Todos vamos a jugar: Everyone plays together. Young Children, 69(2), 24-31.

Wood, L.D. (2014). Holding onto play: Reflecting on experiences as a playful K-3 teacher. YC Young Children, 69(2), 48-56. 

Saskatchewan Ministry of Education. https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows.net/pubsask-prod/86149/86149-86149-Creating_Early_Learning_Environments_(003).pdf

Chapter 3, Anti-Bias Education text (Building an Anti-Bias Education Program) https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nmlsv4rszyo8zq/Chapter%203%20Anti-Bias%20Textbook.pdf?dl=0

Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children.

Curtis, D., & Carter, M. (2005). Rethinking early childhood environments to enhance learning.YC Young Children, 60(3), 34-38. 

Shelton, Catharyn. (2020, October 9). How to design a culturally responsive bitmoji classroom. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/article/how-design-culturally-responsive-bitmoji-classroom

Hubbard, R. S. (1998). Creating a classroom where children can think.YC Young Children, 53(5), 26-31.  

Curtis, D. (2004). Creating invitations for learning. Child Care Information Exchange, 38-40. https://childcareexchange.com/library/5015738.pdf

Saskatchewan Ministry of Education. (2009). Creating early learning environments (pdf 6-14). Saskatchewan Ministry of Education. https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows.net/pubsask-prod/86149/86149-86149-Creating_Early_Learning_Environments_(003).pdf

Drew, W. F., & Rankin, B. (2004). Promoting creativity for life using open-ended materials.YC Young Children, 59(4), 38. 

Daly, L., & Beloglovsky, M. (2014). Loose parts: Inspiring play in young children. St. Paul, MN: Redleaf Press.

Massey, K.J. (2017). Art at the heart: Creating a meaningful art curriculum for young children. Young Children, 8-13.