ECS 203

Blog Post #5

• [Curriculum Policy and the Politics of What Should Be Learned in Schools]:

Something that has become very interesting and evident to me in my journey to becoming a teacher is how much political power there is in education and the curriculum. I never realized how prevalent politics were in the design of the curriculum. I do think having some politics involved is beneficial. However, I think they should not be the only ones designing the curriculum we teachers are required to follow. Having only politics make the curriculum will lead to biased perspectives on their part, “For politicians, what people believe to be true is much more important than what may be true. Beliefs drive political action and voting intentions much more than do facts.” (Curriculum Policy and the Politics of What Should Be Learned in Schools, 13) The political world is about power, not facts and what “should” be done. This is why I believe politics should not be the only ones to create the curriculum; students, parents and teachers should be included in the decision making creating a more inclusive and diverse rather than biased curriculum.

• [The Saskatchewan Way: Professional-Led Curriculum Development]:

In “The Saskatchewan Way; led by Henry Janzonand the Saskatchewan Teacher Federation” says they “fostered teacher ownership of the curriculum (broadly understood) and its development processes, which were necessarily inclusive and collaborative in nature.” (The Saskatchewan Way: Professional-Led Curriculum Development, 5) The Saskatchewan way is more inclusive, and the voices and views of diverse and inclusive people create a more successful curriculum. Rather than having the politicians create the curriculum from their views. Teachers should have a significant voice when it comes to creating the curriculum because they are the ones who breathe it every day as a career. They are the ones who will create a positive and inclusive curriculum.

One Comment

• Lukas Gribbin

Great post Halle,

I agree with you that teachers should have a much larger say in what goes into the curriculum. However, it is still up to the provincial government to gather teachers to help in this process. How should we gather teachers? Which teachers should we get input from and which should we ignore? I think that the process of making a curriculum is very difficult and one that requires a lot of input from different sides. I very much like your ideas on how to make this curriculum and who should have the most say in making changes to it.