Julie Bartoshewski's ePortfolio

My Educational Journey

ECS 203 – Summary of Learning

In this video I summarize my learning journey over the course of the semester. I look at what stuck out to me from readings and class material and discuss some things I wrote in my blog posts about them. I also look at the assignments from the semester and what I have learned about curriculum and pedagogy. Thanks for a great semester and I wish everyone the best in their learning to come! – Julie 🙂

A Library Filled With the Same Story?

My schooling revolved around a small-town farming lifestyle. It was a predominately white community and our education exemplified that perspective. We never were taught any other viewpoint but this except in the optional class of Native Studies 10. University has opened my eyes to so many more worldviews and multicultural education and how to implement all views in the classroom. To work against the biases my education taught me, I will continue to learn with my classes through the experiences of others and always inviting others to share the way they see/interpret things. Whether I’m teaching in a predominately white school or a school of predominately students of colour, I intend to make all truths heard, explored and matter. Even though my own education was biased by only showing one story, I will work against this by never ceasing educating myself and my students on all the diverse stories in the community, province, country, and world.

Treaty People/Education

Before I came to university, I had never heard the term treaty people. As a white settler I never would have thought that I was a treaty person. We, as Canadians, are all treaty people. Being a treaty person means a commitment to each other, both the indigenous and settler/immigrant sides of the treaty relationship. As a teacher, we can use treaty education to ensure our students understand their responsibilities as a treaty person. As Claire said in her introduction, it is our duty to teach our students the “benefits and responsibilities of sharing this land and honouring its long history”. When you look at teachers who believe there is no point in teaching treaty ed to a student body with not many Indigenous students in it, you can see that they aren’t understanding that as Canadians we are all treaty people, and treaty education and FNMI content is essential to this relationship. Treaty and FNMI education/content is something that many Indigenous students may already be aware of or know some of the perspectives without it being taught in school, non-indigenous students would most-likely not. Which is why treaty ed is even more important to be taught to a group of mostly non-indigenous students. We all need to learn to value the vast history and perspectives that make up this country. We need to learn from it, not only to learn from the past, but to make the future of Canada an equal and fulfilling place for both sides of the treaty relationship. This we can not do, without the right education for our upcoming generations of treaty people.

Culturally Relevant Pedagogy in my Future Classroom

In my future classroom, I intend to look at multiple perspectives through open discussion. As a social studies teacher I hope to look at the world around us and our country through the perspectives of many different view points and identities. Looking at historical viewpoints and discussing how they may be normative narratives or one-sided viewpoints. One example of this that has always stuck with me from a previous ECS class was how we’re taught that in Canada women got the right to vote in 1918, but that is a normative narrative or one-sided viewpoint because Indigenous women didn’t get the right to vote till the 60s. The truth behind our history must be examined fully from different perspectives. As mentioned in the reading, I would really like to promote discussions about our material through class and small group discussions where students can share their own thoughts and conclusions. I think this promotes student guided learning rather then the teacher giving notes and controlling what they should learn from a source. I really liked how on page nine the teacher used this thought process for students to think about the material: “Meriah asked the students to respond to the following questions: How did you feel while you were reading the poems? Were you able to relate to the experiences described? If so how? If not why not? The purpose of the questions was to get the students to think about their own identities and what they might have in common with others.” I think this would be a great way for students to start understanding how others experience the world around them differently. Race in material was never discussed in connection to the present or our own lives and experiences in my school. It’s an important thing to discuss to break through the normative narratives upheld in schools that don’t have a focus on multiculturalism, so they aren’t continually being upheld as adults outside of school as well. Change in education is the key to the change we need in our society.

Politics and Curriculum

When looking at this topic the thing that first comes to my mind is politics. There is a lot of debate around teachers expressing political views to students. While learning about politics in grade 10, I remember our teacher asking us which party we think we would vote for if we were old enough but refused to tell us which party he would vote for. I understand his decision not to tell us this as politics can be a very touchy subject, maybe not for us as students, but for our parents. People are very sensitive about their political views (especially in our conservative dominated province) so it could’ve caused a bunch of issues if parents believed our teacher was influencing our political opinions. I think teachers must be careful to teach students what is wrong and what’s right without bringing politics into it. Many issues like the oil pipelines, sex ed, etc may be touchy subjects for students parents and have to be approached carefully.

“Good” Students

To be a “good” student means to accept the information you are taught, even though it may be biased by that person’s perspective, as the truth without question. Well off, male, white students are privileged by this definition. This is due to the fact that these societal privileges ensure that these students are “comfortable” with the information they’re taught. Regardless of the fact that to the students without this privilege, this information may be incorrect. Kumashiro’s reading shows how this teaching of misinformation can hinder students learning and how being made uncomfortable by new information is a common reaction to new truth’s. Historically this view of a “good” person (student), was shaped by colonialism/colonization by the European’s. They believed that being white, male, and well off made you “better”. Education, as shown in the History of Education reading, was shaped into supporting this ideal. Their wording always referred to men and not women. As well as describing a students ability to learn and become a “good” student based off the European view of a hierarchy of ethnicities. For example, people of “oriental” descent were described as: “…hypocritical and dishonest”. Although this has changed in today’s educational system, commonsense viewpoints that reinforce colonialism are still being taught in Canadian classrooms.

Beginning Look Into Curriculum Critical Summary

For assignment 1 I began researching place-based education. I started by looking at a chapter on outdoor learning. The author is showing how outdoor learning can be represented through place, space and sustainability education. Firstly, place, are showing how a student can have connections and feelings to different places. This is essential for being connected to the environment around us, and respecting it because of this. Secondly, they introduced the space relationship. Space is a common geographical feature of seeing how two or more components are related to each other. For example, how a student properly throwing away their trash at a park can ensure the area is clean for the animals who call that place their home. Finally, teaching about sustainability can be enhanced through outdoor learning. Students gain a respect for the environments around them and can use this connection in the future to make sure these environments last. They become engaged with the world and want to make a difference in it, instead of just abusing it and ignoring as these environments waste away.

My next steps to look further into this curriculum study is to see specific examples of place-based/outdoor learning, for elementary and high school students. Compare how different curriculum writers see the benefits of this education. Then write up my paper to thoroughly cover this curricular topic.

Response to Smith’s curriculum Theory and Practice

I experienced an example of the Tyler rationale in school when curriculum would be planned out day to day, without the opportunity for an extra day or two if students have trouble with a certain topic. The teacher will not know which subject matter a group of students may need more time to learn, so coming up with a class-by-class plan and strictly sticking to it can result in students falling behind or not fully comprehending it. When looking at the Tyler rationale method, it is easy to see that students have no input on their learning. Which makes it impossible to have students fully engaged and interested in the material when they have no voice. This makes getting through the curriculum planned more important than the students and their education. One positive to this method however, would be the organization of the curriculum and the plan for the class. The method of “setting objectives, drawing up a plan, applying it and measuring the outcomes” would ensure that all the material for the year is ready and planned. This is beneficial because if the teacher was unorganized it would create a lot of confusion for the students.

Response to The Problem of Common Sense by Kumashiro

Kumashiro defines commonsense as what everyone should know. It is very important to pay attention to the commonsense to discover how someone’s knowledge is shaped by their environment, education, and home/life experiences. One person’s commonsense knowledge may not be the same as another’s due to differences in what they were taught. You can pay attention to knowledge that is commonsense to yourself and analyze how this knowledge is biased to your own life and may be untrue to another individual (Ex. The Nepalian children’s knowledge of what school should be like vs. the teacher from the US where teaching methods are different). Beginning this course my commonsense knowledge of curriculum and pedagogy is based on my own K-12 schooling experience. That teachers are given curriculum they must teach to their students and that there is little room for activities that could take extra time to enhance this knowledge if they want to get through all the material by the end of the year. That a behaviourist teaching/learning pedagogy usually gets through all the material that needs to be taught, but is often less helpful in making sure students retain what they were taught. On the other hand, a constructivist teaching/learning pedagogy may be more beneficial in helping student’s remember the things they’re learning, but that it takes more time and they might not get through all they need to learn, which can be harmful for government examinations and future grades when the knowledge they were supposed to have received in the previous grade needs to be built upon further. Curriculum and pedagogy need to be considerate of what commonsense knowledge each student may have or may not have from previous learning experiences/environments.

Writing the Self Analysis: Looking for Normative Narratives

Part 1

Canadian’s have a stereotype known all around the world. To be Canadian is to be kind, friendly and polite. Canada is known as a cold, snowy, wooded and vast place. As a Canadian most of us know that there is some truth to these stereotypes and many of us have countless experiences that prove it. It is shown in my own self story as well as many of my peers/classmates stories. With so many similar experiences told, it’s easy to see how prominent this normative narrative is in our country.

In Lyndzee’s story, we get a look into the “Canadian” personality even despite our brutally cold climate. It’s a common thing to see the comparison of the warm and friendly personality of Canadian’s being contrasted by our harsh weather. It is very easy to relate to this story since these acts of kindness do make the draining winter weather easier to tolerate. “As I start to brush and scrape a group of kids walking to school pass by and wave to me good morning which brought a slight smile to my face as I continue to clean off the buried car.” Almost all Canadian’s know the dreaded feeling of standing out in the freezing cold trying to clear off all the snow. The small acts of friendliness like the bundled up children giving a wave can brighten up ones day tremendously, especially during our long winters. This story brings out the normative narrative of Canada that people are always kind and friendly here, which this idealistic stereotype can be disrupted as seen in part two.

In Jordelle’s story, the full affect of Canadian’s kind and selfless stereotype is shown. Once again facing the cold weather, a group of students are allowed to go brave the cold and help those stuck in the snow. The selflessness stereotype is shown in news stories all across Canada. It portrays Canadian’s as being kind and almost like heroes. “We provided help to anyone who needed it in the vicinity. Generally, Canadians are often perceived as helpful, polite, and considerate people and this experience helped uphold just that.” This quote shows the full affect of the normative narrative. The kindness is shown in my story as well with all the towns people gathering to support their students and Terry Fox.  As a Canadian I have witnessed these acts of kindness plenty of time, but it can not be expected to be the always norm in Canada. These stereotypes are considered to be the way of life here, which overshadows how often this stereotype isn’t true for many Canadians. Many Canadian’s uphold this stereotype because they like being idolized and thought of as the good guy. It’s easier to accept this stereotype then to look at Canada’s harsh realities.

Part 2

Canada’s normative narrative is not hard to disrupt when you actually look at it. There are countless times in history and present day where our “kindness” is thrown out the window. However, actually bringing these issues to light instead of our stereotypes can be a big struggle. Canadian’s love to live by this stereotype and usually those that are stuck on it tend to be white, male or straight Canadian’s. This is due to them not experiencing the complete opposite of Canada’s kindness because of their identity. The “mainstream” stereotype type is idealized and silences other points of views about Canadian experiences.

In Jerico’s story, a different aspect of Canada is shown then in the other self stories. Canada’s stereotype is disrupted. Jerico’s experience of discrimination and bullying is one felt by so many Canadian’s. “They must have never known the pain I felt when I heard words such as “fag” or “dyke”, let alone that these words were offensive.” This shows how discrimination is just as prominent in our society as these acts of kindness. Due to these “bad” Canadian stories not being shown in media about Canada, the normative narrative is upheld. It is important for all of us with different self stories about Canada to realize that many people aren’t experiencing the side of Canada that we are. Canadian’s need to highlight these experiences just as strongly to create awareness and work towards ridding Canada of its hidden discrimination.

In the Clearing the Plains magazine write up by James Daschuk, a look into the horrible genocide of the First Nation’s people is looked at. This is a giant part of Canadian history but is once again hidden in order to not disrupt Canada’s normative narrative. People should know about this side of Canada just as much as the kind side. Canadians’ should be as passionate about educating on this part of Canada in order for a better future just as much as they are about embracing the Canadian stereotypes. Being a white Canadian my self story did reinforce the normative narrative. However even with my experiences it’s still very important to help disrupt the normative Canadian narrative as much as possible. Both these stories of Canada have truth to them and we can not just show the good side or else that is not being true to what Canada truly is.

Links:

Julie (My story)

Lyndzee’s story

Jordelle’s story

Jerico’s story

References

Daschuk, James. (2014). “Clearing the Plains”. Degrees: The University of Regina Magazine. Vol. 26, no. 2. p. 39-40

« Older posts