ECS 203

Blog Post #10

• How has your upbringing/schooling shaped how you “read the world?” What biases and lenses do you bring to the classroom? How might we unlearn / work against these biases?
  • Which “single stories” were present in your own schooling? Whose truth mattered?

My upbringing/schooling has for sure shaped how I read the world. I grew up in a white, straight, conservative and Christian/catholic household and town. Much of the schooling I received was taught through the product method; whatever the teacher said would be unquestioned. In my history class in grade 12, the federal election was approaching. Much of our studies were being revolved around it. I can remember my teacher explaining that the most educated vote would be to vote for a conservative. It was our best option. My family works in healthcare and agriculture, my parents consistently voted for conservative, and lots of my fellow student’s families did as well, so being told it was in our best interest to vote conservative never crossed my mind as problematic. It was not until I took the time to educate myself on other parties that I realized whom I wanted to vote for. Regardless of one’s beliefs and values, I have realized how important it is to be taught unbiased perspectives and information. I voted for conservatives that year. However, had I researched myself prior to the election, I would have made a different choice. This was an example of viewing through a lens that much of my community/society enforces.

As for “single stories,” the idea of indigenous peoples comes to mind. I grew up watching “cowboy and Indian” movies. These movies primarily focused on the cowboys fighting with the indigenous. Having this image of the indigenous looked like, I was shocked when I went to school and realized they looked exactly like me. My family never advised me that the movies were not what was expected in real life. From that narrative I had, the indigenous topic was not taught in my schooling. We touched on the stereotypical and broad aspects of it. It was not until university that my entire knowledge of the indigenous culture grew to better understood. The “single stories” I learned in elementary and high school caused harm to the indigenous culture. A lot of my knowledge was incorrect or not even enough to be considered educated on the topic. I was primarily taught that residential school happened, and it hurt the indigenous peoples for them. However, entering university, I have learned about intergenerational trauma and what really happened to the culture and how they are still suffering o this day. The single-story narratives need to end as it causes harm and biases.