Week 1 – ECS 210 Blog Post

Kumashiro explains that “common sense often makes it easy to continue teaching and learning in ways that allow the oppression already in play to continue to play out unchallenged in our schools and society” (XXXVI). Kumashiro is describing how common sense works to perpetuate old ideas and ways of teaching and learning that is rooted in colonialist, misogynist, homophobic, racist… etc, views that have harmed and continue to harm students and educators. Since common sense is viewed as the normal and accepted way of teaching and learning, anything that varies from it will be classified as incorrect or insufficient. In addition, these normal, common sense ideas are often not critiqued or adapted to accommodate for cultural and societal changes that happen over time. Since these common sense strategies and practices are not being evaluated regularly, or at all, harmful “common sense” practices of oppression will continue to take place in classrooms and in schools. Another point that I took away from Kumashiro is that many, if not all of common sense practices are outdated and are not easily transferrable and applicable in all classroom situations.

I think it is important to pay attention to what is viewed as common sense because it helps us become better educators. If we, as teachers, are aware of potential oppression that can arise from common sense practices, we will be able to reflect on our own choices as teachers and make decisions based on the needs of the students, rather than on common sense. Teaching is a reflective process and many of these common sense practices are very much engrained in our minds, as it is what we experienced while attending school. It may be difficult to recognize some of these harmful common sense practices but it is necessary to ensure that success and security is felt by every student in a classroom. My goal as a teacher is to reflect on my own decisions and practices that I use in a classroom and think about whether or not they are harmful and oppressive to anyone. With this information and realization about the power and importance of analyzing and understanding common sense practices, I will try to shape my own skills and my future practices in my classroom.