Week #2 Post

The first article by Dr. Louis Volante was a very interesting read and offered excellent suggestions about how to properly assess students. An interesting aspect of assessment that I had not previously considered was reducing biases in assessment methods. I had not previously considered the way bias might play a role in assessment choices, as well as the assessment and evaluation of particular students. Volante mentions how “pre-conceived notions” might play a role in how teachers evaluate certain students. It is important to be aware of these biases and to be aware of your own internal biases so that you can avoid them during assessment. Biases are unfair to all students and should be avoided at all costs although that is easier said than done. Volante explains: “Just as effective assessment acknowledges diversity in students’ learning styles, so too should it reflect the cultural and ethnic differences that exist among Canadian students” (p. 140).  By acknowledging the diversity in our students, we as teachers are able to make informed decisions about assessment and create assessment that is free from bias, stereotypes, and aims to be inclusive to all.

Another key point that I found to be very insightful, and uncommon in many classrooms, is the use of gender-neutral pronouns. I think that this is a great practice to get in the habit of. There is no reason to make any student feel alienated or excluded in their classroom. Using gender-neutral pronouns is a great way to be inclusive to all students and limit any problems that could potentially arise from the use of pronouns. Another useful and fascinating suggestion that Volante mentions to avoid bias is to conceal names when grading assessments. When displaying the names of students, it can be easy to give in to bias, even unknowingly. However, if all names are concealed, students will be graded on their work alone and not on whether they are liked by the teacher or by any other means that could result in a negative bias.

The Student Evaluation Handbook offers similar suggestions for ensuring that all students are valued and included. The handbook discusses this in chapter 2 in the Adaptive Dimension section. As described in the handbook, the adaptive dimension aims to be inclusive to all students and to make adjustments to assignments or assessments when needed. Students should all feel included and assessments should reflect inclusion and understanding. The learning environment, instructional practices, and the curriculum can all be adapted to fit the diverse needs of all students. I had heard about the Adaptive Dimension in my ELNG 300 class last semester but I really enjoyed this thorough overview. I think that the Adaptive Dimension is incredibly important and should be top of mind for all teachers in all lessons and assessments that they do. Students should not feel isolated or alone. The Adaptive Dimension ensures that the needs of all students are being met. The handbook offers real suggestions for teachers to implement in their classrooms. These suggestions include: adjusting the criteria of assignments, allowing students to demonstrate knowledge rather than writing a test, giving students more time to complete assignments, etc… There are many great ways to include the Adaptive Dimension in your classroom. As The Student Evaluation Handbook explains, “The Adaptive Dimension permeates all practices the teacher uses to make learning meaningful and appropriate to each student. It requires constant monitoring of student progress and exploration into the reasons for the progress or lack of it. It is not designed solely for special needs students but emphasizes the importance of adapting programs for all students, as appropriate” (p. 18). This idea that the Adaptive Dimension is not only for students with exceptionalities is important to remember. The Adaptive Dimension is essential to all students as it can help all students grow and develop their learning.

The Adaptive Dimension, and avoiding bias as I discussed above, are two very important ways to ensure that all students feel respected and comfortable at school. These two aspects are what I found to be some of the most important things to consider during assessment and teaching activities. I would like to be more aware of the Adaptive Dimension and my own personal biases when I go into my pre-internship and my internship because it is my top priority to ensure that students feel safe and valued within the classroom.

Resources:

Saskatchewan Education. (1991). “Student Evaluation: A Teacher Handbook”. Saskatchewan Education, pp. 1-120. file:///C:/Users/Isabella/Downloads/15375-Student-Evaluation%20(2).pdf

Volante, L. (2006). “Principles for Effective Classroom Assessment”. Brock Education, Vol. 15 (no. 2), pp. 134-147. https://urcourses.uregina.ca/pluginfile.php/1946119/mod_resource/content/1/Volante.pdf

The Student Evaluation Handbook offers similar suggestions for ensuring that all students are valued and included. The handbook discusses this in chapter 2 in the Adaptive Dimension section. As described in the handbook, the adaptive dimension aims to be inclusive to all students and to make adjustments to assignments or assessments when needed. Students should all feel included and assessments should reflect inclusion and understanding. The learning environment, instructional practices, and the curriculum can all be adapted to fit the diverse needs of all students. I had heard about the Adaptive Dimension in my ELNG 300 class last semester but I really enjoyed this thorough overview. I think that the Adaptive Dimension is incredibly important and should be top of mind for all teachers in all lessons and assessments that they do. Students should not feel isolated or alone. The Adaptive Dimension ensures that the needs of all students are being met. The handbook offers real suggestions for teachers to implement in their classrooms. These suggestions include: adjusting the criteria of assignments, allowing students to demonstrate knowledge rather than writing a test, giving students more time to complete assignments, etc… There are many great ways to include the Adaptive Dimension in your classroom. The Adaptive Dimension, and avoiding bias as I discussed above, are two very important ways to ensure that all students feel respected and comfortable at school. These two aspects are what I found to be some of the most important things to consider during assessment and teaching activities. I would like to be more aware of the Adaptive Dimension and my own personal biases when I go into my pre-internship and my internship because it is my top priority to ensure that students feel safe and valued within the classroom.