Here is a list composed of some things I have learnt in such a small period of time. As I continue on with my education, I expect this list to grow drastically.
I have learnt…
- The importance of structure in the classroom (ex: having the same routine for students for when they come in from lunch recess)
- The incorporation of different types of media in a lesson (ex: using both a book and a short video to tell a story)
- Learning environments are constantly changing (ex: when I went to school we had rows of desks and now desks are arranged in groups and some students have floor desks)
- Planning for activities students enjoy (ex: if students want to try volleyball, let them because it is what they want to do) but making revisions so students do not struggle.
- As a teacher, your mind is constantly working
- Educators should incorporate different ways of knowing by using different sensory formats of teaching (ex: listening, seeing, touching, tasting, doing…)
- Students need breaks from learning so incorporating a muster break in between topics helps students regain focus
- The importance of antiracist education versus multicultural education
- Teachers may struggle with incorporating and teaching diversity but can rely on fellow colleagues for support