My Educational Journey

Response to Smith’s curriculum Theory and Practice

I experienced an example of the Tyler rationale in school when curriculum would be planned out day to day, without the opportunity for an extra day or two if students have trouble with a certain topic. The teacher will not know which subject matter a group of students may need more time to learn, so coming up with a class-by-class plan and strictly sticking to it can result in students falling behind or not fully comprehending it. When looking at the Tyler rationale method, it is easy to see that students have no input on their learning. Which makes it impossible to have students fully engaged and interested in the material when they have no voice. This makes getting through the curriculum planned more important than the students and their education. One positive to this method however, would be the organization of the curriculum and the plan for the class. The method of “setting objectives, drawing up a plan, applying it and measuring the outcomes” would ensure that all the material for the year is ready and planned. This is beneficial because if the teacher was unorganized it would create a lot of confusion for the students.

1 Comment

1. Halle Fannon

Hi Julie, I think everyone who has been a student can relate to this; I have for sure! I struggled in math, whereas other students thrived in math. It was difficult because the class needed to move on, and I was still stuck, not understanding. Next time, I would consider adding more quotes from the text to emphasize your ideas and points. However, I could relate to what you wrote and understood the points you wanted to get across!