For assignment 1 I began researching place-based education. I started by looking at a chapter on outdoor learning. The author is showing how outdoor learning can be represented through place, space and sustainability education. Firstly, place, are showing how a student can have connections and feelings to different places. This is essential for being connected to the environment around us, and respecting it because of this. Secondly, they introduced the space relationship. Space is a common geographical feature of seeing how two or more components are related to each other. For example, how a student properly throwing away their trash at a park can ensure the area is clean for the animals who call that place their home. Finally, teaching about sustainability can be enhanced through outdoor learning. Students gain a respect for the environments around them and can use this connection in the future to make sure these environments last. They become engaged with the world and want to make a difference in it, instead of just abusing it and ignoring as these environments waste away.

My next steps to look further into this curriculum study is to see specific examples of place-based/outdoor learning, for elementary and high school students. Compare how different curriculum writers see the benefits of this education. Then write up my paper to thoroughly cover this curricular topic.