Learning Project: when it rains, it pours

I got to stay home from work due to rain. I thought this might be an opportunity to catch up on my project. This did not happen as planned.

Instead, after replacing the window, but not sealing it up on the outside because I forgot once it was in and because it is on the second story, the rain came in. I thought a pipe burst. Rain was pouring down the previously revealed plumping in the kitchen, below the upstairs bathroom.

Rain was coming in at such an angle, it got in between the window and the outside siding and casing that was removed, behind the shower system and tile.

This obviously made the window a priority. Without scaffolding, I didn’t really know how to fix this, or at least prevent rain from coming into my kitchen. This is my “access” to plumbing. It was living under drywall and ancient plaster. I haven’t motivated myself to tear the rest of the ceiling plaster down, but the walls are done! Little victories.

I don’t know if you can see the wet everywhere, but the darker wood by the plumbing is wet (note: wet by the live wire). I could hear it coming down while in the living room. Scary.

Naturally, I called my dad. He said, “spray foam.” I did;t really know what I was looking for so searched Rona online for spray foam for sealing up windows. I did not expect to “learn” from the comment section, but upon looking at reviews, I saw someone complain about spray foam bowing door jams. I didn’t know anything about this and looked it up. This is a whole discussion on how spray foam is apparently so powerful it has wrecked many a person’s new project. One little, off-handed review from Rona saved me this very fate! It is a century-old cedar on the outside of the house and surely would have over-expanded if I hadn’t looked it up first. Thankful!

The idea is to get door and window spray foam for doors and windows because it is less expandy, I guess? This is what I used.

Image: Great Stuff. Rona. https://www.rona.ca/en/product/great-stuff-12-oz-window-and-door-yellow-spray-foam-insulation-ready-for-trim-in-1-h-99108863-56495028

I will say, yellow on white trim and window is not the cutest look. Can cut it down and paint it, but who has time for that?

Anyway, I got my saw up and running. It is still chipping tile. I am slowly getting over it. However, the issue with the rain reminded me I needed to caulk everything. I went ahead and did the shower base and new shower doors. It was horrible. I scraped it all off and returned to the internet. I literally did not think I needed to learn how to caulk…

I viewed WINNI’s video on how to caulk a shower. According to the TikTok, I am not supposed to grout corners (I did) and am supposed to use caulk instead for flexibility. After the fact, not that helpful, but he does mention using soapy water and popsicle stick to create nice caulk lines. I tried it. Still horrible. Removed it again.

Twin Traps suggests a caulking tool, but I wasn’t leaving in the middle of this mess to get one. It looks something like this from Amazon. DadAdviceFromBo does it just like I do, even mentioning that if you hate how it turns out just let it dry and peel it off again. This made me feel better, but also discouraged, all at the same time. I watched professionals nail their caulk job for about an hour on TikTok then came across this picture on a tutorial website: Image: The Spruce/Kevin Norris. https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-caulk-a-shower-5208078

What a novel idea! if you suck at it, just tape your edges! The Spruce provides a couple more helpful hints about caulking, but this one is the best! I showed my spouse when he got home and he said, “yeah, that is pretty normal,” Useful advice I could’ve used YESTERDAY.

Anyway, I am learning that I am not good at learning. I clearly like to test all my preconceived notions prior to actually understanding. I think that means I am learning through hands-on doing. I am just realizing this. So far, it has seemed to me that there is a massive discrepancy between what I think I know how to do and what happens when I do it. Perhaps, this is why I feel like all these videos and tutorials I am referring to prior to doing aren’t helping.

This is super interesting to me because I did not really think of myself as a hands-on learner. I thought I learned best through listening/reading. However, it is clear to me, there is an element of practice that is kind of absent in this type of learning project. Instead of practicing prior to “performing” like I would if I were learning an instrument or language or even baking, I absorb as much from as many sources as I can until I do it. When I finally do it, it is supposed to be the final draft. I am learning about myself that I need practical, hands-on learning/practice either to get a handle on execution or to maybe build my confidence. I am starting to feel not very confident about my abilities here.

If I could start over with this project, I would do a very small test project first. Maybe tile the inside of my fireplace, or help a friend first. There are so many moving parts to just trying to finish what I thought was a simple project. Albeit, a lot of the complications are due to an old house.

All news to me, though!