Is social networking sites destroying the childhood?

Hey everyone!

P.C Credit

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/effects-social-media-children-adolescents-dr-marwa-kreidieh

Today, let’s dive into a topic that’s been on my mind lately: The effects of social media on childhood Many children are using social media.

Being a parent and utilizing the services of a caretaker for kids makes it possible to name all the Professionals and Cons of using social networks among children. Well, then, let it be, and let’s better understand this issue that has multiple sides to it.

Professionally Speaking, the Good Side of Social Media

P.C Credit

https://blog.squaretrade.com/stay-connected-with-friends-family/

First of all, let it be said there is good in life. It is a fact that social media also has some advantages. It helps us to stay in touch with families and friends and this is more so for those who may be living in different parts of the world. To children, it may still be education and imagination. Sites such as YouTube or Instagram can motivate children to obtain new interests and share them by creating accounts and learning new skills or ideas doing it.

The Not-So-Good Side

But there is another scenario that has to be considered: the flip side of this coin – the negative aspects of social networks. Research has established that the excessive use of social media in the family brings about the deterioration of parent-children relations. In particular, frequent use of social networking sites leads to a greater number of quarrels with parents among children and faced many challenges such as cyber-bulling. Hence, social networking sites continuously draw users’ attention, creating less actual time with loved ones and more conflict. Notably, contrary to most other parent-child bonds, this deterioration does not affect mother-son bonds as badly as the others. Weird, right?

Mental Health Concerns

https://www.verywellmind.com/link-between-social-media-and-mental-health-5089347

Then, there is the psycho-social effect; As someone shared on his social media he was diagnosed with severe depression and had also attempted suicide. Several clinicians have noted on negative effects of social media on teenagers indicating that social media causes them increased anxiety and lower self-esteem. As it is today it has become rather challenging for kids to grow up in society as they are confined to computer and phone screens and rarely have physical contact. The shift in schedules can prove difficult for them as they tend to find it difficult to build healthy relationships with their peers as well as proper self-esteem.

Attention Span and Addiction

https://www.chrysaliskids.com/blog/impact-of-social-media-on-kids/

Another significant area of concern is of focus span or as referred to in this study attention span. Social media is set up to be a time waster where you just continue endlessly scrolling through the content seeking something fast and easy. This may also reduce the span of concentration and thus attending to matters for a long time by children. Their brains are constantly in search of the next instant rush of dopamine up to at times, skipping lunch.

Risk Factors Associated with the Use of Social Networks

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/breakfast-snapchat-streak–610167449538259693/

One meaningful argument discussed in yesterday’s debate concerned the receipt of several young people’s popular applications, such as Snapchat and Instagram. Some of them post every aspect of their lives on their social media, including the breakfast they took, and the latest things they are doing. Back from work or school, almost everyone, including children, is sharing these articles nonstop, which is rather alarming to watch. For example, in India, the scenarios of kidnapping of students and robberies took place as people shared their location and planned activities online. In essence, by marketing their location and schedules to the public domain, they expose themselves to criminals. This just goes on to show that there is a need to ensure that there is awareness and came when sharing information on social media platforms. As with any affliction, understanding the risks and helping children avoid the pitfalls as well as encouraging them to be more selective in the information that they put on updates can go a long way in reducing these effects.

Finding a Balance

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/social-media-mental-health-balancing-digital-connectivity-well-being

Therefore is social media robbing children of their childhood? It’s a mixed answer. Yes, it is a marvelous tool for acquiring knowledge and making friends, but at the same time, it adversely affects children’s psychological condition, their ability to build interpersonal relationships, and their concentration levels. In this digital world, it remains the responsibility of parents and teachers to steer this generation. We have to explain how to use social networks properly, identify restrictions, and urge to devote time to other activities concerning the real world.

Final Thoughts

In the last word, it cannot be denied that social media is thriving and will continue creating its impact on societies. It is up to us to teach the kids how to manage the challenge that comes with it and benefit from the opportunities that come with it.

I guess we should continue the discussion and comment on the way we manage to find that golden mean. What do you think? A lot of anger is created by Television such as Netflix, Social networking sites, cheating in exams, Facebook, Twitter, and adult sites, etc.,

Have you noticed how your kids or the children you work with have been affected by any of these social networking sites?

Drop a comment below!

Thank you for reading through, have a great day, and catch you in the next post!

Kavita Monga

Technology is Revolutionizing Learning

Hey, fellow learners!

Ever ruminated about how technology is causing a disruption in our learning? Let us have a look into the world of Edtech and its impact on classrooms; making them more interesting, intelligent, and fun. I still believe after the debate that technology has an impact on learning after today’s talk titled “Technology Has an Impact on Learning,” because:

Instantaneous access to knowledge:

Remember when you had to carry those bulky books around with you? Now students have all the information in the world with just a few clicks. From algebra to zoology there are tutorials on everything you can find on-line libraries, educational websites even You Tube. This massive proliferation helps pupils attain deep understanding of subjects at their own convenience.

Creative, Interactive Education:  

P.C Credit

https://giphy.com/gifs/supersimple-khan-academy-kids-1zhqVGkBjb0ZwfdHiC

Uniform education? No more! Personalized learning has been made possible by technology whereby it addresses the individual needs of students. Some like Khan Academy and Quiz let allow students to learn at their own pace hence easy understanding of the concepts. They have your back whether you are good at math, science or need help with history.

Acquiring 21st Century Competences:

P.C Credit

https://www.tts-group.co.uk/blog/2021/08/23/technology-21st-century-learning-skills.html

The current digital age is not only about reading, writing and arithmetic anymore. In this present world, digital literacy, critical thinking and collaboration are most important.
Technological incorporation in teaching aids nourishes these talents by involving various tools and platforms which imitate real life scenarios. The coding apps, virtual labs and collaborative online projects can be thought

Learning that is Interactive and Engaging:

P.C Credit

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-does-gamification-cme-help-reverse-declining-trend-moses-gomes-

Let’s be honest about it; occasionally conventional lessons can be quite dull but with technology learning becomes alive. Games for education, virtual reality (VR) and multimedia presentations make learning fun. Imagine wearing a VR headset to see ancient Rome or playing a fun game by solving math problems or learning planting trees or surgeries.

Global Connectivity:

Classroom walls have long ceased being walls just thanks to technology. Students can collaborate with their peers, instructors, and experts from many other countries globally. Their classmates from across the planet may become their partners in projects through video conferencing apps such as Zoom or collaborative platforms like Google Classrooms which will enable them to have a better understanding of diverse perspectives and cultures worldwide.

Instant Feedback and Quick Learning:

Anticipation for the test results is quite intense. Nevertheless, current technology allows fast feedback. Students’ online quizzes plus assignments can easily be marked by machines thereby providing them with immediate insight into their success of which this helps identify improvement areas leading to efficient learning.

Preparing for Tomorrow’s Jobs:

P.C Credit

Technology cuts across nearly all careers today. By incorporating tech in education, students become conversant with workplace tools and procedures that they will deal with later in life. Such skills as spreadsheet use, coding or digital design provide a head start for these students regarding their future careers.

Information Age – Tech Vs Traditional Skills:

Others are afraid that traditional schooling may get outplayed by technology. However, an equilibrium school of thought guarantees the best of both worlds for learners. For example, research work and interactive learning could involve using digital tools while traditional ways like writing by hand or face-to-face talks would still build basic knowledge base.

Final Thoughts:

Technology in classrooms enhances education. It provides a wide range of information to students, personalizes learning for each student and equips them with important skills for the modern world. But this is not a smooth ride always as people are concerned that it might hinder creativity, over-reliance on devices by children and even influence mental health.

These are real issues we cannot avoid. Nevertheless, if tech is used wisely we can address these problems. We need to instruct kids how to utilize digital equipment , encourage them to reason critically , and achieve a balance between online time and traditional instruction methods.

This way, we can get the good stuff from tech without the bad stuff taking over. In the end when people use technology and with a plan, it can shake up education for the better. It can make learning more fun, easier to get to, and work better for students all over the world. The trick is to find the sweet spot and make sure tech helps out instead of taking over, the old ways of teaching.

Comment below to share your thoughts with me. I’d love to hear from you!

Happy Learning!

Stay Tuned!

Kavita Monga

A Day in Kavita’s Life:

Hey everyone, Welcome to my blog!
As a first-time blogger, I’m enthusiastic to showcase my everyday schedule by emphasizing the role of technology in my daily activities. This is my daily schedule:

Morning: Beginning with a Positive Start

I am an early bird and starts my day early with some worship, listening to spiritual songs on YouTube to create a positive mood.
Checking my phone for messages and notifications is next on the agenda. WhatsApp, Snapchat, and Instagram keep me connected with my family and friends back in India through video calls. It’s so important for me to see them regularly, especially since my parents are alone back home. Their conversations, filled with warmth and shared experiences, set a positive tone for my day. We have also set up some cameras in our house to monitor them and stay connected with their daily activities and whereabouts. Thanks to technology, I am able to maintain close relationships despite the distance.

Work Time: Daycare and Home

I work at a daycare, where I utilize numerous applications to keep the children involved and improve their learning experience. Getting to work is convenient with public transportation, and applications like Google Maps and Local Transit help me stay informed about bus schedules accurately, ensuring punctuality.

When I’m not at the work, I’m preparing for a class assignment. My laptop is a reliable companion that assists me in opening e-books, accessing online resources from URLibrary, and using Google Scholar to locate peer-reviewed articles. Zoom is the main tool that I use to stay connected with my EC& I 830 class, facilitating virtual meetings and group discussions for seamless collaboration with Professor and classmates.

Evening: Me Time and Family Time

Evenings are all about my time with my family. I love spend time with husband and son. My son is incredibly creative and he loves c
rafting things that he sees on YouTube. Watching him creating new things everyday brings me immense joy, and it has become a cherished part of our daily routine. Before bedtime, I love listening soothing music that helps me relax after a busy day. I wrap up by reviewing my schedule and planning for the next day.

Staying Updated and Connected

I love exploring Instagram’s reels and staying updated through Twitter and news websites. My routine is pretty consistent during weekdays, and technology is at the heart of everything I do; from staying connected with family to teaching and learning at work.

Hope you enjoyed getting a peek into my day!

Until next time,
Kavita