Teaching Philosophy

Truth and Reconciliation Education Philosophy

I believe learning the truth by looking backward helps us heal and reconcile:

It is our responsibility as educators to look for and learn the truth of what went wrong in the relationship of Indigenous and non-indigenous in the past. We can’t move forward without looking back to determine and ensure everyone heals. It is my responsibility as an educator to teach the truth of residential schools, the history of colonization, its effects, and denounce any other stereotype linked to the way of life of Indigenous people in this country. I believe teaching treaty education is a core way of building a positive relationship towards reconciliation. Every child has the right to learn from the land, elders, and embrace the Indigenous way of knowing.  I believe the traditional and cultural events of the Indigenous community like the treaty-four gathering, the pow-pow dances, and seeking knowledge from elders are venues of learning for the children.

Education Philosophies of 

Khadar Tawane Hilowle

I believe that all children are future leaders:

I believe that all children are future leaders and how we prepare, matters a lot today. They need to learn how to be culturally responsive and develop strong elements of social justice at a young age. It is my responsibility as a teacher to inspire them with a sense of belonging, pride, and help them live with discipline life. It is my duty to discover what makes them distinctive, and to help that students develop in a way that is mindful of what makes them who they are; my goal is to develop diverse, inclusive, and self-actualized learners who feel valued in their community.

Teach them and value who they are:

I believe that all children have the potential to learn and they should be given quality education that has the highest expectation of their level. They need to be respected, valued, and embraced in their varied bits of intelligence of learning. It is my responsibility as an educator to use relevant pedagogical skills that can help the child learn the best. I should ensure to implement differentiation and adaptations strategies that help every child be successful, and competent in their educational journey.