Week Four

For this week, it was about inclusive education-diversity. I honestly can’t believe we are halfway through our field placements! The school I am at doesn’t really have any special inclusive rooms, like other schools I know. I have only been to 3 classrooms in the school and in my kindergarten class, we have a little girl with some behavioral issues and I know in another class, a kid has a learning disability. In my classroom, there isn’t a whole lot of diversity but there are some. I would say the diversity in the school and classroom, is pretty visible. I was playing Halloween bingo with some of the kids and they were, for the most part, all different, it was great to see. None of the kids in my class care about what the other kids look like or that they are different.                      

For this week, it was about inclusive education-diversity. I honestly can’t believe we are halfway through our field placements! The school I am at doesn’t really have any special inclusive rooms, like other schools I know. I have only been to 3 classrooms in the school and in my kindergarten class, we have a little girl with some behavioral issues and I know in another class, a kid has a learning disability.                      

While I have been at this school, I have been watching how my teacher and the teacher aid deal with how the little girl acts (I’ll call her A). I briefly talked about it in my last blog, but A struggles when she doesn’t get her way. Today, it was the best feeling ever when A came charging at me when she saw me and give me a huge hug! We had a substitute that day and A didn’t have a good day because of that. She struggles when she doesn’t know faces too well, so because she didn’t know the substitute, we had a lot of meltdowns. The kids in the classroom are all very nice to A and I have noticed a lot try to help her and include her in games. When she is having a freakout, all the kids know to kind of to just ignore her and not acknowledge it or she will think it’s ok.

In my classroom, there isn’t a whole lot of diversity but there are some. I would say the diversity in the school and classroom, is pretty visible. I was playing Halloween bingo with some of the kids and they were, for the most part, all different, it was great to see. None of the kids in my class care about what the other kids look like or that they are different.