Curriculum Theory and Practice – September 22

During my years in school and working as a teacher aid, I am now becoming more aware of how much Tyler Rationale has played a considerable role in the curriculum. While I was in school, I never realized that it was a thing until I joined this class and realized how much it played a role in my life. When I was younger, I was continually being tested due to my learning disability. I would have to take these tests to make sure I was closer or on a similar level as my classmates. Due to my learning disability, I needed that extra help in school, and because my teachers were taught to teach a certain way, I didn’t always receive that help. When I was in grade four, I had a morning teacher and an afternoon teacher. My morning teacher was very strict, and she made everything to the point on how we needed to do every subject. She would test us after every lesson, even when we were not fully prepared. I was lucky enough to have my afternoon teacher provide me with that extra help I would need and help me succeed with my morning teacher. As long as I can remember, every class I have been in has focused on the Tyler Rationale, and I don’t believe it was changed. There will always be teachers that choose that side over other ways of testing. 

There are a few limitations to this method of teaching/learning. An issue with this form of teaching can cause students’ problems, especially students who need extra help. Students are then taught to remember everything to be tested on it; not all students will find that easy. I feel as if Tyler’s method is very set in stone and does not leave a lot of room for it to be flexible in any way.

Although there are some limitations, there are also some benefits that come out of this as well. With this method, teachers will know how to start their classes and get an idea of what to do. Tyler’s method prepares students for life so that they can be a member of society. As this method was formed a while ago, some parts are not covered as much. Teachers are steering away from parts of it but will also see it play a part in some classes.