Week Seven

Our topic this week was technology, the whole time that we have been with our coop teacher, she has only ever used the mimeo board. Today was different, she brought out iPads during math time to play math games. We are constantly using the mimeo board, she uses it for attendance. The students have a routine they need to do when they get to school, and one of those things is going up to the mimeo boards and pressing on their penguin. The penguin would then jump into the water and that’s how we know who is at school and who isn’t. Other than that, our teacher doesn’t really incorporate technology into the classroom. I talked with a few of the children and they all said they watch shows, videos and play games on their iPads. 

I took a walk to the library to see what they all had in there but they didn’t have much. I didn’t see a laptop cart, a tablet bin, or regular stand-alone computers. I saw the computer for the librarian to check out books and I noticed there was a computer so students could also check out their own books. I noticed on my first day when I was in the 7/8 class, there was more technology. I went with our coop teacher to another class and every student in that classroom had a laptop assigned to them. So, technology is very different for the younger grades to the older ones.  

This is where the students can check out their own books in the library.