Queering the Curriculum – October 13

Deepening the Discussion

There are many different ways we can address the homophonic, transphobic, biphobic and oppressive behaviours. Having these conversations with future students that are a part of the LGBTQ+ community, whether they know it or not, just yet is very important. We need to start by making sure our teachers/future teachers are knowledgeable of the LGBTQ+ community. We also need to make our schools more inclusive. Not all students feel comfortable going into a boy or girl bathrooms. I have noticed a few schools change their bathrooms into single stalls with the sinks in the hallway. The most significant step would be to let the student feel safe at school to be whoever they may be.

Queering Curriculum Studies

Integrating queerness into the curriculum for me would be making sure all students felt welcomed and bringing a whole new light to the curriculum. Incorporating queer people into the curriculum, for example, bringing in presenters, finding movies/videos/books, and maybe some activities. Making the school aware of everyone’s needs. Like I mentioned in the last paragraph, gender-neutral bathrooms. It could also include gym class being strictly girls and boys; it could be a together class. Throughout elementary school, gym class is together until high school; it should not have to change. Another way is to let children be called whatever they would prefer and what they would like to be called for their pronouns. My classroom goal is to make sure all students feel welcome in my classroom and feel as if it is a safe space.

Queering Classrooms, Curricula, and Care: Stories From Those Who Dare 

Our job as a teacher is to care about our students. We should not have to maintain a classroom free from any notion of sexuality; it is wrong. We go into teaching to help our future students grow and learn who they are. We are there to care for them and provide support when it may not always be there for them. We need to stop having free from any notion of sexuality in the schools. It may make students, and maybe even teachers, feel unsafe. Schools need to take a more significant step and evolve more.