ACCESS/ALP Program at William Aberhart High School

December 8, 2020 0 By Madison Macfie

In my grade 10 year at William Aberhart High School in Calgary, AB I was a part of the Sports Medicine 10 class. In this class, we had the amazing opportunity of being able to assist the ACCESS and ALP classes at our school on a weekly basis.

ACCESS (Attitude, Community Competence Elements, Social Skills)

ALP (Adapted Learning Program)

Students in these classes had mild to severe cognitive disabilities, while some students we worked with were non-verbal. When assisting these classes, we were assigned to create and design various workout programs in order for each child to excel in specific skills. We would play different games with them and encourage them to participate in physical activity.

I found this to be an extremely beneficial experience and allowed me to engage in inclusive practices within my school. I developed strong bonds with many of the students in these classes and would spend time with them even outside when we were working with their class. To this day, I am still in contact with some of these students and schoolmates and continue to check in with them every now and then. I am very glad that I was able to partake in that class and to engage in the amazing program at William Aberhart High School.