Navigating Digital World with Confidence

CYBERSECURITY vs CYBER SAFETY

Hand pointing at a digital padlock interface, representing advanced cybersecurity and encrypted data protection measures.
Photo by Leo on Adobe Stock

In today’s digital word, cybersecurity and cyber safety are critical. So what’s the difference between cybersecurity and cyber safety? Cyber security is about the systems in place to protect my online presence, data, devices, and networks from cyber attacks or unauthorized access. From  my perspective, cybersecurity is like having a shield that protects my digital world from unseen dangers. It might include antivirus software to protect against malware, spam filters to block suspicious emails, or content filters to restrict access to potentially  harmful websites.  Cyber safety, on the other hand, is the safe and responsible use of communication technologies and personal information when online. It is about being aware of how your data is being used online and the risks associated with digital interactions, whether it’s conducting online banking, online shopping, interacting on social media, or simply ordering food online.

Reading about common cyber attacks was eye-opening for me. It made me realize just how vulnerable our digital world can be and how crucial it is to understand the threats we face online. Learning about different types of cyber attacks helped me recognize the importance of staying vigilant and taking proactive measures to protect myself. For example, dealing with phishing attempts at work quiet often made me more cautious about clicking on suspicious links or sharing personal data online. Sometimes I can easily recognize a “sketchy” email, but other times it can be challenging because emails are designed to look incredibly convincing. It’s a constant battle between trying to distinguish between legitimate emails and phishing attempts.

CYBER SAFETY TIPS

Online Security

Here are a few tips I use to avoid becoming a victim of cyber attacks:

• Use Strong Passwords: Create complex passwords with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Avoid using easily guessable information like birthdays or names and try not to use the same passwords for multiple accounts.
  • Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): Using 2FA can significantly reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your social media accounts. This way, you will be alerted whenever there is an attempt to access your account.
  • Secure Your Devices: Install antivirus and anti-malware software on your devices and keep them updated regularly.
  • Be Aware of Phishing Attempts: Be cautious of emails, messages, or phone calls requesting personal information. They often use language to create a sense of urgency or pressure you to act quickly without proper verification. If you receive a message demanding immediate attention or threatening consequences for inaction, take a step back and verify the authenticity of the request.
  • Be Cautious with Links and Attachments: Avoid clicking on links and downloading attachments or apps from suspicious or unknown sources, as they may contain malware or lead to phishing websites.
  • Hover over links: Before clicking on any links in the email, hover your mouse cursor over them to preview the URL. If the link looks suspicious, don’t click on it.
  • Backup Your Data: Regularly backup important files and data to an external hard drive, cloud storage service, or both. This can help to minimize the data loss in case cyber attack happens.
  • Review Privacy Settings: Regularly review and adjust your social media privacy settings to control who can see your information and interact with you.
  • Use VPN: Use VPN when connected to public Wi-Fi networks.
  • Stay informed: Stay informed about the latest cybersecurity threats and best practices for staying safe online. Share your knowledge with others.

Cyber safety and Digital Citizenship Education are Important

Cyber safety and digital citizenship share the common goal of using technology in a good, responsible, and respectful way, but they approach this goal from slightly different angles. Cyber safety is about protecting people, especially kids, from online dangers. It includes things like preventing cyberbullying, harassment, and exposure to inappropriate content, as well as teaching people how to stay safe online. Digital citizenship involves understanding your rights online and focuses on how to be a good and responsible citizen of the online community.

In my schooling, cyber safety and digital citizenship were not given much emphasis, and looking back, I wish they had been. While we learned about using computers and the internet for research and educational purposes, there was little to no focus on the potential risks and responsibilities that come with navigating the digital world.

It’s interesting to think back on my early experiences with social media. I remember diving into it around grade 9, and it felt like this whole new world that everyone was just beginning to navigate. Back then, schools didn’t really incorporate lessons on how to use technology responsibly or effectively. We were kind of left to figure it out on our own. It was both exciting and slightly frightening at the same time, trying to understand the ins and outs of these platforms without much guidance. Looking back, I realize how much has changed since then and how important it is now to have those discussions about online safety integrated into education.

Nowadays, teachers use various approaches to educate students about how to use technology safely and responsibly such as:

• Provide students with information on online privacy, cybersecurity, digital footprint, and respectful online behavior.
  • Engage students in interactive activities such as games, role-playing exercises, and group discussions to make learning experience more fun and memorable.
  • Use stories and real-life examples to help illustrate the consequences of unsafe online behavior and highlight the importance of cyber safety.
  • Encourage open communication between children and their parents about their online experiences. It can help create a supportive environment for discussing cyber safety concerns.
  • Avoid scaring children about the potential risks of unsafe behavior, but instead focus on empowering children with knowledge and practical strategies for staying safe online.
  • Emphasize the positive aspects of technology while also addressing its risks.

I find these approaches to be very proactive and beneficial as they teach students the necessary skills to make good decisions while navigating the digital world. I believe a combination of these approaches is the key to equip students with critical thinking skills and knowledge how to stay safe online.

As a future educator, I believe that integrating lessons on cybersecurity, cyber safety, and digital citizenship into the curriculum can help develop a more thoughtful and ethical approach to online interactions. This video is a great resource to learn how to protect yourself online and what tips to follow to not become a victim of cyber threats:

Cyberbullying

The lack of education about how to stay safe online, especially among children and teenagers, can lead to cyberbullying. Cyberbullying occurs when someone uses digital platforms such as social media, messaging apps, or online forums to harm or cause pain to another person. It can take various forms, including sending or sharing harmful or mean content about someone to embarrass them. Sometimes this content is shared anonymously, making cyberbullying feel even more threatening. Face-to-face bullying and cyberbullying can often happen alongside each other, but cyberbullying leaves a digital footprint – a record that can provide evidence to help stop the abuse.

Amanda Todd’s story shook me to the core and really opened my eyes to the harsh realities of the online world. It’s crazy to think how something seemingly small, like a photo, can spiral into such devastating consequences of cyberbullying. Her experience highlighted the urgent need for education on cyber safety from a young age. As I reflect on her story, I’m reminded of the importance of fostering empathy, kindness, and respect in both virtual and real-world environments. It is so important to raise awareness about online interactions and the impact that our actions, both online and offline, can have on lives of others. I strongly believe that cyberbullying is a serious topic that needs to be discussed in every classroom. All educators can place a greater emphasis on recognizing and preventing cyberbullying by teaching students to be empathetic online. It is always a good idea to remind students to think before posting and offer tips for how to respond to or speak up against cyberbullying.

Additional Tools and Resources

There are a variety of activities and tools available to support parents and educators in teaching online safety to children. These resources provide videos, games, and educational material with age-appropriate content that covers various online safety topics, including cybersecurity, cyberbullying, sexting, social networking, and more. The interactive nature of these materials helps to keep children engaged and promotes better understanding of online safety. Here are some tools and resource I’ve found useful for teaching kids about cyber safety and developing digital citizenship skills:

Let’s create a safer and more compassionate online world by educating our children about how to be a responsible digital citizen, protect their personal information online, recognize potential risks and providing guidance on how to stay safe online. It can help protect their well-being and sets them up for success in the increasingly digitalized society we live in right now.