“Would your Grandma be fine seeing that post?”

June 7, 2024 2 By Mason Coghill

2 of the 9 Elements of Digital Citizenship really stood out to me and those include…

Digital Etiquette

The way I learned digital etiquette was “If you wouldn’t be okay with your grandma seeing that post, don’t post it”. Just like how we are usually taught to think before we speak, we should also be taught and also teach students to think before they post. The difference between saying something in person vs online is that online is forever and those words you might have said in the heat of the moment can come back to haunt you. If we engrain these lessons into kids at an early age, I hope that they can learn to make smarter decisions and avoid making mistakes that could come back to bite them in the rear. One good resource I found for teaching younger grades this concept is located here.

Digital Security and Privacy.

Are you the kind of person to have a physical notepad of all your accounts and passwords? Are you also the kind of person that likes to journal? Now imagine all of that information is stored online for anyone to have access to if they are smart enough. Also imagine a simple conversation behind closed doors with you and a friend is not so secret because anyone who is smart enough can secretly digitally eavesdrop on every word you are saying. Digital Security is often overlooked despite how important it is. Even something as simple as one password falling into the wrong hands can lead to your online banking, emails, text, etc. being breached. I hope to teach students ways in which to avoid being hacked or downloading malware/viruses by teaching them how the malware/virus works and teach them how to deal with it if they are to be a victim to cyber attacks.