“I learnt this from TikTok”…but how legitimate is that?

May 26, 2024 4 By Mason Coghill

Very often I hear things like “I saw ___ on TikTok”, “There’s this Instagram video that says ___”, “I watched this Youtube video that said ___”, etc. when it comes to newly discovered information that people are spewing my way. I am guilty of this too. This begs the question though… with anyone and everyone being able to post anything and everything on social media… how do we know what is fact and not? 

Don’t get me wrong, having an insane amount of information ready at your fingertips is extremely helpful. My life has been saved many times by Youtube tutorial videos and I am sure yours has too. But not only in our own lives, but in our future classrooms, we need to make sure that this awesome information tool called the internet is approached with a level of skepticism. Students need to learn that everything should be taken with a grain of salt (looking at you Wikipedia) and that they should have the skills to validate the information they have found. 

One quote in the video that stood out to me was “(The internet is) about linking people in ways that we’ve never been linked before”. This has been especially true in my life. I met a life-long friend from Germany 7 years ago through online games. I never would have known him if it weren’t for our digital advancements. 

Additionally, I ran the Instagram page at my previous workplace and that allowed countless customers to feel more comfortable starting up conversation with me in the store saying things like “It’s the guy from Instagram!”, “Your last post was so funny!” etc. etc.. On the more uncomfortable side of this however is the brief amount of minor fame I had on TikTok in 2020 where 8 of my videos gained 180k to 2 million views. During this time and at both of my workplaces, I was recognized by customers due to my TikTok posts. I learnt quickly that my online presence can be a double edged sword. On one hand it can make my work more successful, but it can also create uncomfortable scenarios and a somewhat breach of privacy. 

What I wish I had known as a kid and teenager is that what gets posted…is out there forever. A single post can make someone’s life but it can also break someone’s life and I wish that they would be much more adamant about teaching that in schools.