Wâhkôhtowin Photo-story

Land-scape:

The above photo was taken on a cool winter afternoon as I gathered on Treaty 2 Territory to snowshoe. I began snapping pictures the moment we arrived with no intention of incorporating this image into my photo story. This photo captures a typical winter in Saskatchewan, frozen lakes, with frosty trees, and a clear grey sky. From an early age, I have been familiar with the importance of nature and how the natural world intertwined with my own. Dwayne Donald’s reading guided me towards a deeper understanding of the relationship between myself and the world around me. Donald outlines the importance of respect when we interact with the world around us. We are dependent on the natural world, in fact, he goes on to state that they are part of us. The reading further explores the concept of how our relationships past and present will affect our future. This reading pushed me to explore a greater appreciation for not just the image but the time I spend outdoors in the natural world. 

Sky-scape:

From the beginning I wanted my sky-scape image to be of a Saskatchewan sunset, they are something I hold close to my heart because it is something that can be seen anywhere on Treaty 4 territory. More importantly, sunsets are a way of making me feel closer to those who have joined the spirit world. Since the passing of my Aunt, sunsets have been a way to remind me that though she is not walking with me physically, she is still watching out for me as I move through my journey on earth. As I read through Treaty elders of Saskatchewan our dream is that our peoples will one day be clearly recognized as nations (2000) I found a word that spoke to me deeply in relation to wâhkôhtowin which is miyo-wicehtowin. Miyo-wicehtowin refers to a law related to human bonds and relationships. I feel miyo-wicehtowin connects me closer to my loved ones who no longer walk among us but rather watch over me. When I looked a the sunset I felt,  the bond of my relationship with my Aunt who I cannot see, but feel around me. 

Water-scape:

This photo was taken on Treaty 4 near Wascana Lake. I have chosen this image for my waterscape image because it connects to water in two distinct ways. First, the covering of snow represents the season of winter, when water is still a part of our lives but in a different form, water non less. Second, beneath the covering of snow is water and inhabitants that have taken the winter to rest until spring. Much like the leaves water changes with the seasons. 

Cardinal and Hildebrand (2000) speak to a sky or land and how it ties to pimâchihowin or life. Water is not only part of life but in addition, it guides us in making a living as a source of life. As a natural source, water is a key component of our relationship with the natural world. Through this investigation into water, I have gained a greater appreciation for how important and how much I value water in all forms. 

Micro-scape:

For my fourth and final wâhkôhtowin photo, I chose an image taken on a second visit to  Treaty 6 Territory.  The simplicity of this scene drew me towards it and urged me to take the photo. It captures small aspects of nature but is detailed non the less. The eye is first drawn to the mushroom dusted in snow but at a further investigation, the eye catches the moss and tree bark. Trees are such an important part of our ecosystem and work as life-givers. Trees work tirelessly to release oxygen to creatures on the planet. I have chosen to connect the concept of iyiniw saweyihtakosiwin as described by Cardinal and Hildebrand (2000). Cardinal and Hildebrand (2000) write:  iyiniw saweyihtakosiwin (the peoples’ sacred gifts) are used to describe those special gifts that originate in the special relationships that First Nations peoples have with the Creator and the blessing or gifts that devolve from that relationship” (pg. 10). As a white settler, I believe it is important to acknowledge that the smallest beings around us are gifts from the Creator and should be respected as such. Treaty Education and furthering my learning about Treaty has allowed me to gain a greater appreciation for the world around me no matter how small. In this image, there are multiple sacred gifts.