Breathe In, Breathe Out…

As I was practicing yoga this week I suddenly thought… What is yoga?

So after a little research online, here is what I found out:
The word yoga was derived from the language Sanskrit meaning “union.” The practice of yoga originated in Ancient India for people to “still the mind.”

Yoga is all about uniting the physical, mental and spiritual (or mind, body, spirit) practice with a large focus on breathing. As I continue my yoga journey I have noticed that I am doing well with the physical aspect of yoga, but I struggle to “still the mind,” and lose focus on my breathing.

Woman Practicing Yoga Outdoor
woman practicing breathing techniques during yoga practice

At the beginning and end of many of my workouts I hear or see the word Sanskrit. I have learned that this is the term used in yoga to focus on breathing. During this time, I am often sitting crossed legged, hands on my knees with my eyes closed while being instructed to take deep breaths in and out.

In future I am going to try to focus on my breathing throughout the whole workout. Am I inhaling through my nose to fill my lungs completely before exhaling through my mouth or nose? I am hoping that with this focus I will start to tap into the mental and spiritual aspect of yoga rather than just the physical portion.

Have you ever focused on your breathing? I find that it is so calming and it feels good to take deep breaths a couple times a day rather than our typical shallow breaths. Check out this video to practice your breathing with me!

2 thoughts on “Breathe In, Breathe Out…

1. I loved your post this week as I have been trying to use focusing on my breathing to help with panic attacks. I found the video great and will definitely add it to my resources for when I am needing to ground myself and focus on my breathing.